Engine oil preferences??

• All the fluids changed for limited use and storage here in winter. Castrol Syntrax 75W90 for the gear and rear axle and Shell Helix synthetic 10W40 for the engine.

It's only about 1500 km since the dealer supposedly did a minor service, including filters and fluids. However, since I found several screws and other bits and pieces missing or misapplied and the flilling plugs on the gear and rear drive needed a breakerbar to unscrew, one has to question the competence of the 500 lb. gorilla that did the service.

The question of oil recommendation: The standard 20W50 oil recomendation is apparently only available today as a "motorcycle" oil, where the friction modifiers have been omitted for use in bikes with wet plate clutches. Since the K has a dry clutch, my thought was that a modern automotive synthetic including the friction modifier additives would be preferable. It does not aseem to exist in that viscosity range. My favorite supplier, the local Sunico distributor has two candidates: 5W50 or 10W60 - both up to the latest API specs SH/CD for use in both petroland diesel engines and meeting a lot of various marque specifications like VW, Porsche etc.

There has been quite a discussion on this subject in Germany, where there seem to be a vocal preference in some circles for using standard 10W40 oil year round. I do not feel there is any difficulty with using the 10W40 here in witer - temps not over 12°C or 55°F. Summer temps here are rarely over 25°C and never more than 30.

So, what's the opinions here?

• I use semi synthetic 10/40. This keeps the starter clutch clean and as we all know this fails with plain oils.
    Ajays

• I used very simple supermarket 15W40 oil for about 15 years in my K75 of 1992, without any negative effects on the lubed parts (engine reaching about 170 Mm with this treatment and still running smoothly, camshaft steering chain slider replaced at about 150 Mm with only slight signs of wear on the old one). Accordingly I would support PeterKR's view.

In hot summer driving conditions (30+ deg C and low velocity mountain driving on crowded roads in summer Italy) I observed an increased mechanical operation noise, but without any observable technical consequences. Nevertheless I therefore changed to the suggested thicker 20W50 oil that I expect to raise the consumption slightly. I seem to observe a reduction of the offending noise recently, but the real tests under really hot conditions are still lacking.

Regards,

Peter

Verbrauch K75: unter 4.5 L/100km.
    Mein Haupthobby: Elektronisch Krach machen
    Einfach mal online Quasseln? Lass uns uns zu einem virtuellen Schwätzchen z.B. per Jitsi treffen!

(Vorher Termin absprechen!)

• Only the best!!!!

15W40 mineral from the supermarket for 2,50 € per liter :shock::shock:

No probs and the K has only seen mineral so far for 100tkm.... :cool:

• Zitat von "Alex_MZ"

for 2,50 € per liter

Don't fool away so much money! :mrgreen:

Heinz
    "Technischer Fortschritt ist wie eine Axt in den Händen eines pathologischen Kriminellen."
    Albert Einstein

• Dieses Thema enthält 32 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!