K100 won't turn off

• Hi everyone,

I have a new and exciting problem with my 1984 K100 RT: I came home from the pub on Thursday to find that the ignition had turned itself on. The key was not in and the switch was off. For some reason (probably beer related) I pushed the buton and it started and ran normally but even when I put the key in and wobbled it around i could not stop it, even the kill switch didn't work; I had to disconnect the battery. So far I have removed and tested the ign switch and found that the ignition remains on even with it removed and traced the wires back to the harness.
    In 35 years, I've had many vehicles that won't start but never one that won't stop. Can anyone help... Please?

Sam

• Hallo Sam,

excuse if i don't use right words.

Your Problem is the Starting-relais. Its in the black box under the fuel. You had to less Voltage, so the relais melted a little bit. Best solution: new relais. possible: open it and clean it.
    Important: before new trying load your accumulator.

• Hi Sam,

reading your explanation carefully I am not really sure what happens in detail. Anyhow I can hardly agree with Klaus. If the starter relais (solenoid?) is remaining closed as commented by Klaus then the starter itself keeps on running anyhow, but not the engine itself. You said the ignition is on, not the engine and/or starter as it only started after pushing the button, correct? If you now reconnect the battery, the ignition is on again but starter is not working without pushing starter button, correct? If so it is NOT the starter relais.
    I think in this case you have some problems maybe caused by bad contacts or some cables with defective harness touching something or each other or so. I am afraid you will have to check this one by one very carefully to identify the root cause. I suggest first to disconnect ignition switch and kill switch from the system (pull respective plug out below the tank) and see wether the failure remains. If so, keep on checking further system, else check the cable you disconnected and respective switch itself - or maybe just exchange via another one if available.

Please keep us updated in detail else we cannot further assist.

And Good Luck!

best regards

Bernhard

• Zitat von "Sam Thompson"

So far I have removed and tested the ign switch and found that the ignition remains on even with it removed and traced the wires back to the harness.
    In 35 years, I've had many vehicles that won't start but never one that won't stop. Can anyone help... Please?

Hello Sam, 2 tiny questions:

1) only starter motor working permanently (as former 2 colleagues meant)
    2) or steady lighting headlights/backlight/cockpit ... ??

• Thanks for the suggeestons, I think I've traced the problem to the short red wire between theign switch plug and the relay box. It was badly degraded under the fabric sleeve. The problem seems to be fixed.
    Only the red wire was decayed, does red insulation have a different composition?
    ST

• Hi Sam and everybody.

To switch ign. on without ign.switch at least two "plus" wires must be connected together (shortened). One wire directly from battery (terminal 30) and one from the ign.switch (terminal 15).
    So you should thoroughly check insulation of other wires near defective one.

Possible cause of red wire damage is it's overheating. Are there some extra loads on this wire, for example radios, intercoms, theft alarm e.t.c? Are theese in order? Short circuit to ground/frame? Corroded connectors?

Regards,
    Victor

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!