timing chain tensioner modification; tried and tested??

• Hi, I read somewhere about modifying the timing chain tensioner by fitting a ball bearing onto the spring, so the bleed hole would be closed off, and more pressure accumulated, in order to have a better functioning chain tension. Has anybody done this; any experience to share? I can see how it could work, but wonder if anybody has tried it??

Cheers, René

Greetings from Australia!

Ihre antwort in Deutch wird verstanden

• why modifying the tension ?
    I`m shure, normal achived tensionen is best for the chain.

• Good question. The bike is noisy in the beginning, when the engine is stil cold. It gets better when warm, but braking on the engine is noisy again, which I feel has to do with the timing chain (although I still have a 6 rivet shaft - the rivets are OK).

Cheers, René

• Hi Tom, bike has done about 85KMls, about 140K KM. I'm renewing the chain now; the old one bend twice as much as the new one. Had a look at the technical site, particular stuerkette.pdf, where I noted that the BMW modified tensioner has a little piston on the top of the spring now, guess the ball will do the same.

Cheers, René

• when changing the chain, take a good look at the teeth of the stearing gearwheel.
    as far as i know, these older gearswheels are not hardened and sometimes also worn.
    best thing is, comparing it to a new one.
    on the other hand, 140tkm is normally not the end of lifetime for the chain :(

• Dieses Thema enthält 6 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!