Old style fuel pump strainer/filter alternative??

• I'm looking for an old style fuel pump suction strainer/filter replacement. Anybody aware of an alternative? The only ones that seem available are the new style ones, which would require modifications to the tank and considering that I haven't got the connection for the strainer breather hose in the tank I'd rather replace the original. Previous owner replaced the original with one that is too low and therefore doesn't sit on the rubber sleeve. Thanks!

Cheers, René

Greetings from Australia!

Ihre antwort in Deutch wird verstanden

• Zitat von "ReneZ"

.......that I haven't got the connection for the strainer breather hose in the tank.....

What is this "strainer breather hose" you are talking about.
    To my knowledge the older fuel pump strainer(pickup) had a hose that connected from the top of the strainer to the fuel return inlet at the top of the tank.
    That way the returning fuel from the fuel rail dumped back into the tank at the fuel pump inlet. Not just spray free into the tank like the newer versions do.
    I also seem to recal a TSB from BMW about connecting a rubber hose from this return line nipple inside the top of the tank and routing the hose down near the fuel pump inlet screen. Thus to dump the returning fuel back near the fuel pump, similar to what the original design did with the older pickup screen.

• Sorry mate, think you've got it wrong. Earliest bikes didn't have a hose on the pump suction strainer and they dumped/sprayed the return in the tank through a forward little pod holding a non-return valve (spring loaded ball). I know that realoem.com is wrong with that (at least for my bike) as it shows the strainer with hose, but there's nothing in the tank to connect that hose to. The return in the tank was later modified to a pipe going up to the top of the tank.
    But to be clear; I'm looking for a strainer without the hose adapter (the one with the hose connection doesn't fit in the pump reces unless I cut out a piece of the pump seat.

Cheers, René

Greetings from Australia!

Ihre antwort in Deutch wird verstanden

• Rene, you are probably more correct than I. I haven't had my hands on one of the older machines.
    The TSB I was referring to was for BMW NA dealing with fuel pump noise and the fuel pump prematurely sucking air instead of fuel.
    I was going to attatch the file, but it's too big. 600Kb pdf.
    Here's the title information anyway.
    16 018 94 (2630R) Fuel Pump Noise - K Models Revised

• afaik there are two different fuel pump types for the K, one came from VDO the other from Bosch...they are different in diameter (and maybe other details)

IF you cannot find out the correct type in realoem ..do not rely on the pics in realoem.. they do not always show the right parts buit still the part numbers are correct.

We have a list of replacement parts (mostly cars) and some guys have even taken the pump out out the gar tank und fitted a different pump somewhere else.

Maybe a pic of your pump could help and clarify things...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!