K1100 RS - pumping oil out of Marzocchi forks

• Hello!

I'm changing fork oil. Fork is disassembled, I have each leg now dripping oil over night in something about 30* position. Forks are from 1995 K1100RS - Marzocchi made.
    Thing that make me wander is: where that 50ccm of oil stuck in the left leg? Is it at the bottom of fork pipe? It it is so, then putting it almost horizontal should fix the issue. I suspect, that due to mounting of ABS sensor the drain plug is higher then in the right leg? Or oil stuck somewhere in dumping cartridge?

Best regards,

• The difference of oil capacity is only relevant if you drain the front fork by opening the drain screw at the lower slider tube. If I've got you right, the front fork is dismantled. In this case just open the upper closing caps and turn the leg around. Make sure to not lose any parts from the closing cap. Doing it this way you can be sure to drain all oil from the fork legs.

Regards,

Thomas

• I wasn't aware of a cartridge in those forks. I have disassembled an earlier K1100 fork for a fork seal replacement and it was just a plain-Jane damper rod fork, but a cheap one with bushings on the bottom instead of a hard chromed leg going to the bottom of the slider as was the case in the early Fichtel-Sachs fork. Do later K1100s have cartridge dampers? What a pain.

Did you take the filler plugs out? Did you try pumping the fork legs to force the residual oil out? With the filler plugs out a few pumps of each leg is normally enough to drain the fork leg. I do not even remove them from the triple clamp. Ease of fork oil service is one of the many things that keeps me loyal to my K. Cartridge forks are a royal PITA.

• Zitat von "Themason"

Do later K1100s have cartridge dampers? What a pain.

Yes, they do. The change happened in 1992 if I remember correctly.

From the outside they look pretty much the same, but their inner values are different. The chrome pipes cannot be distingished when looking at them from the outside- but sadly the newer ones lack the rim on the lower inside that is needed to fix the old dampener in them.

Both variants are made by Marzocchi.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!