ABS won't reset

• Saturday I went to start my 91 K1 to go for a ride and found the battery VERY dead after only sitting a week or two since last ridden. I removed the battery and it appears to be toast. I bought a new one today, charged and installed it and everything went well. I took it for a spin and found the ABS light still blinked. I figured that was normal after a dead battery, I brought it home and tried to reset the ABS like I have a couple times in the past, but this time it would not reset.

I ran the diagnostic test looking for a fault and it gave me a #6 fault code indicating the ABS relay. I checked the resistance at the connector and sure enough it was out of bounds according to the tutorial by Brian Curry (thanks Brian). I now have a few questions. Do I need to completely remove the fuel tank to access the relay box, or can I just raise the tank enough to replace the relay? It shows two relays relating to ABS, is it the smaller cheaper one I need or the larger more expensive one? Is it a standard relay that I can buy at any corner auto parts store, or is it BMW motorcycle specific? Can it be opened and repaired?

I'm preparing for a ride in less than a week and am trying to decide whether to try to fix it now or let the lights blink and wait until I get home. I would appreciate answers from anyone familiar with these relays, I'm hoping it's something I can pick up down at my local NAPA store. If not, maybe someone on the list has an extra one for sale. Thanks!

DW
    Cleveland, TN

• Hi DW,

if you have someone to help you, it might be done with removing the tank completely, but be careful, not to let the tank drop to the floor :)
    The main ABS relay is the more expensive one (blue) it can be replaced bye the same type (standard, which should be capable of 70Amps) The damned thing is expensive because as a safety related component it has a better (mil?) spec and was especially specced for higher reliability (which didn't work in your case :))
    It can be opened and insepected or even repaired, depending on what is wrong with it. As a first approach, cleaning of the socket to ensure good contact could be a measure. What should go wrong with a relay, while the bike is sitting in the garage and sleeping, besides the sockets contacts?

Did you know that deping on solar interference with the moon it sometimes takes up to two minutes, to sucessfully reset the ABS brain? Can you switch the error light in the instrument cluster to a steady red by pressing the ABS switch in the instrument cluster? If you can't, the wiring of the ABS switch might be bad, thus making it impossible to reset the brain.

• Zitat von "Webberle"

Can you switch the error light in the instrument cluster to a steady red by pressing the ABS switch in the instrument cluster?

First thank you for your response. Yes I can get it to a steady red by pressing the ABS switch, but when riding the flashing will return after about ten minutes or so. I have reset it two times in the last three years without a problem as it returned to normal. This time my battery was bad as I tried to start it and that may have done something to the relay, because I am getting a #6 fault code from the ABS brain.

I'll probably open the relay and see if there is anything apparently wrong that I can fix before ordering a new one. Thanks again!

DW
    Cleveland, TN

• Thanks for the advice. I was able to prop the tank up enough to remove the relays. The smaller relay seemed to be really stuck, it was rather hard to remove. I opened both of them, but neither really looked very bad. The points were NOT welded closed, but I cleaned them anyway and also cleaned the pins before spraying electronic contact cleaner on them as well as the sockets before reinstalling them. The pins on the larger one had a lot of discoloration.

I checked for a fault code and this time didn't get one. A few minutes later after putting everything back together I went for a short ride and NO blinking ABS light. Waahooo! My guess is that it was just a bad connection like you mentioned at one of the relays. Thanks again!

DW

• Hello DW,

an additional comment from my side.

Bad relay contacts causes too the discharge and afterwards damage of the battery, because of the contacts which might be to close.

Cheers,

Oliver

BTW: I replaced that fu... up expensive relay by the cheep one, Webberle proposed. It works great. And for that price I can change them ten times a year.

• Dieses Thema enthält 3 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!