LED Indicators

• Anyone out there converted their turn signals/ indicators to LED on a K ?

I've successfully converted the sidecar to LED turn lights using resistors to overcome the relays "belief" that a bulb has failed (fast flash rate), but it's suggested that an electronic relay is better.

Any thoughts ?

• Zitat von "Sidecarjohn"

Anyone out there converted their turn signals/ indicators to LED on a K ?

I've successfully converted the sidecar to LED turn lights using resistors to overcome the relays "belief" that a bulb has failed (fast flash rate), but it's suggested that an electronic relay is better.

Any thoughts ?

Hello John, why not adapt your existing relay inside?

Principle is voltage dropping over a 20 mohm shunt. Twice it's value to 40 mohm and it will work similiar/well with half current to your turn indicators.
    Easy calculation: V = I (indicator LEDs) * R (shunt) > 13 mV and it will work

• Wow. Adapt relay inside ? I'm a spanner, screwdriver and hammer man myself, so the thought of messing with electrics is only OK with step by step instructions. The worry is that with BMW relays being so costly I don't want the risk of having to see the bank manager again.

However, with the right information happy to proceed. Thanks.

• Hello Sidecarjohn,

try this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.order.conrad.com/cgi-perl/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=1263736843&ls=d&nc=&rubnum=d99.ax62.i88.ah99.ay52&artnum=182442&file=&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--d99.ax62.i88.ah99.ay52&shop=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.order.conrad.com/cgi-perl/ls ... ay52&shop=</a><!-- m -->

It´s a LED with a built in resistor. You can have it for 12V as well as other voltages. The picture on the conrad page shows a red LED but it means a green one as described in the technical datasheet.

The price seems to be very low, so you don't have to be afraid to meet your bank manager ;)

Cheers, Mario

• please read more than the two words "led" and"resistor"!

that's not sidecarjhon's problem! the problem is, that K-electronics is detecting the current for bulbs and gives you a lamp fault signal in case of wrong current. "wrong current" happens, if you change bulb's with led's.
    so what pezi says is, that you will need to place a resistor in parallel mode to led's to give right current for K-Electronic!

regards, Michael

• Hello!
    Six1 and Pezi are 100% right. I thing that was a thread on old forum regarding modification of bulb monitor unit to turn the stop and rear light to LED. So I think, that similar modification can be done for turn indicators. IMO there is no point in switching to LED and adding additional load via resistor - let left the classic bulb.

Best regards,

• Dieses Thema enthält 7 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!