LED Indicators

• Anyone out there converted their turn signals/ indicators to LED on a K ?

I've successfully converted the sidecar to LED turn lights using resistors to overcome the relays "belief" that a bulb has failed (fast flash rate), but it's suggested that an electronic relay is better.

Any thoughts ?

• Quote from "Sidecarjohn"

Anyone out there converted their turn signals/ indicators to LED on a K ?

I've successfully converted the sidecar to LED turn lights using resistors to overcome the relays "belief" that a bulb has failed (fast flash rate), but it's suggested that an electronic relay is better.

Any thoughts ?

Hello John, why not adapt your existing relay inside?

Principle is voltage dropping over a 20 mohm shunt. Twice it's value to 40 mohm and it will work similiar/well with half current to your turn indicators.
    Easy calculation: V = I (indicator LEDs) * R (shunt) > 13 mV and it will work

• Wow. Adapt relay inside ? I'm a spanner, screwdriver and hammer man myself, so the thought of messing with electrics is only OK with step by step instructions. The worry is that with BMW relays being so costly I don't want the risk of having to see the bank manager again.

However, with the right information happy to proceed. Thanks.

• Hello Sidecarjohn,

try this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.order.conrad.com/cgi-perl/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=1263736843&ls=d&nc=&rubnum=d99.ax62.i88.ah99.ay52&artnum=182442&file=&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--d99.ax62.i88.ah99.ay52&shop=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.order.conrad.com/cgi-perl/ls ... ay52&shop=</a><!-- m -->

It´s a LED with a built in resistor. You can have it for 12V as well as other voltages. The picture on the conrad page shows a red LED but it means a green one as described in the technical datasheet.

The price seems to be very low, so you don't have to be afraid to meet your bank manager ;)

Cheers, Mario

• please read more than the two words "led" and"resistor"!

that's not sidecarjhon's problem! the problem is, that K-electronics is detecting the current for bulbs and gives you a lamp fault signal in case of wrong current. "wrong current" happens, if you change bulb's with led's.
    so what pezi says is, that you will need to place a resistor in parallel mode to led's to give right current for K-Electronic!

regards, Michael

• Hello!
    Six1 and Pezi are 100% right. I thing that was a thread on old forum regarding modification of bulb monitor unit to turn the stop and rear light to LED. So I think, that similar modification can be done for turn indicators. IMO there is no point in switching to LED and adding additional load via resistor - let left the classic bulb.

Best regards,

• This threads contains 7 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or log-in to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!