Where is this oil coming from?

• Since changing to synthetic oil, I have a large amount of oil leaking from the front/top of my engine. It is mostly spewing out the heat vents in the right lower fairing (RT), and some is pooling above the hall effect hatch and dribbling down the crank cover.

I removed the crank cover, timing chain cover and valve cover, and I removed and cleaned the gaskets and channels (both mechanically and with solvent) then siliconed them on each side of the gasket.

The sensor in the timing chain cover has an oil seal around the crank boss, but I noticed no oil inside there.

The oil is leaking at about a half a litre per 100km. Where could it be coming from?

• you´ve mention the reason yourselfe:

syth oil is the problem - don´t feed the ol´K´s with that stuff

change to standard again- driving - change again & hope .... but I think it´s too late - for the old rubber seals

Ein Y-Chromosom macht das Leben unbeschwert

Grüße von Olaf aus H-U

• Maybe overfilled, but the main reason ist -as you can read in some threads for this case- the alien oil....

Take in warm regions one nice normal 20W50 oil without any additional stuff for motorcycles. One oil used for cars, bought in the DIY-market....

If you change all of the seals around the motor, from this moment on you can drive oil whatever you want..

• I have already changed the rear main seal, but does anyone have a list of all the other seals on the engine? I didn't even know there was one on top?

• There is NO seal on top ;)

But the wind blowing the oil in corners you would never expect may irritate your eyes...

Clean it up perfectly, and check again after some kilometers, may be the top of the timingchaincover isn't fine yet, or the overflowhole from oil/waterpump shows some drops....

• Zitat von "JoelB"

Since changing to synthetic oil, <snip> The oil is leaking at about a half a litre per 100km. Where could it be coming from?

Hot oil can be very difficult to trace back to its source but if you really mean half a liter per 100 kilometers I would check to see if you forgot to replace the filler cap (or the O-ring on the filler cap !

• Dieses Thema enthält 41 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!