Gearbox and engine shaft rear seals type

• Hello!
    I am about to do clutch spline lubrication. Also I'll replace seals if required. Yet, the gearbox seal looks like standard shaft seal - Simmerring. But the engine shaft seal does not look like one:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/NotesParts/11117666186_1_B.jpg?v=103036753]
    Do you have any information about the type of engine shaft seal?
    Should I concern changing seals just because the whole thing would be apart?
    Anticipating the question about seal type. There is a very competent seals producer and distributor in Wroclaw, with prices at most quarter of BMW ones.

Best regards,

• Rafel,
    My two cents: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I will forever rue the day I decided to change all the seals in my gearbox just because I had the box open and thought 74,000k was a good milage to replace seals at. Cost me a year of oil leaks which even the BMW techs could not sort out and all in all, about 1,000 euro. Just slide the box back on longer bolts, lube and slide back...thereafter Happiness!! Like the Kugel said to her mother-in-law when asked "How was the honeymoon, doll? She replied "Vot ha Penis. :lollol::lollol::lollol::lollol: "

• The knowlegde of " how to change seals without leaking afterwards" is really urgent to do this stuff. Since about 2001 i change seals for friends and since 4 years i got the original tools to fit the rubbers exactly without any damage. I've got no warranty case until now.. :D
    So if the gearbox is away, change all seals you can and don't believe any stories like " never change..."

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->100NIKON-DSCN0081_DSCN0081.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

• Zitat von "OoB"

Rafel,
    My two cents: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I will forever rue the day I decided to change all the seals in my gearbox just because I had the box open and thought 74,000k was a good milage to replace seals at. Cost me a year of oil leaks which even the BMW techs could not sort out and all in all, about 1,000 euro. Just slide the box back on longer bolts, lube and slide back...thereafter Happiness!! Like the Kugel said to her mother-in-law when asked "How was the honeymoon, doll? She replied "Vot ha Penis. :lollol::lollol::lollol::lollol: "

Dude! "Just slide the box back on longer bolts, lube and slide back". That is inspired. I never thought of replacing a couple of the stock bolts with longer ones. Oh man, have you made my afternoon, and my next spline lube. Bravo. :freu:

• hoechst - You have a nice set of drifts for seals there, are they made of aluminium alloy? Usually I use different size of sockets and PCV plumbing pipes (very handy for fork seal replacement).

@themanson - the idea with long bolts is brilliant, but it was somewhere in K tech tips before. In my case I want to make a full inspection so the gear box must go out ;).

A question to K1100 owners. When I've removed panniers mountings. I've noticed that right one is mounted with two bolts and thread is in the mount. The left one has two bolt and two nuts is it OEM solution?

Best regards

• Dieses Thema enthält 13 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!