New final drive oil

• Hi there
    Just received a new final drive for a friend´s r1200gsadv and would like to know if it comes with the working oil or we have to refill it.
    Best regards and merry xmas
    Jesús Puentes

• Hi there, seller (BMW dealer) told us that he believed brand new FD was sold dry and any residual oil would be for protection purposes. So we decided to drain and refill.
    Wen drain the FD, found 200cc of syntetic gear oil, also noticed that filling cap was paint marked. Most interesting part is that the oil was not 100% clean and there was a very small amount of black metalic dust in the drain plug magnetic cup, its like BMW is selling the FD filled and tested. So the refilling option seems to me the most recomendable action, unless you are in a hurry for a drive.
    Best regards and Happy new year.
    JAP

• My understanding is that there is no oil change interval on new final drives. They are filled for life and supposedly sealed at the factory. And, yes, that makes me uncomfortable.

• Zitat von "Erik_NL"

¡Hola

Imho: expect any brand new final rear drive to come without oil. So you’d just have to fill it. After the prescribed service interval, a refill will be due.

Older final drives, such as those found on first generation Paralever bikes or earlier Monolever bikes had no oil in them from the factory. Only some assembly lube.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!