Warm ride tonight-a bit too warm

• Riding along only a little bit faster than i should have been, my k100rs started feeling a bit `funny`, then I saw some smoke from under the tank and the horn started blaring-pulled over sharpish and yep there was lots of smoke and the horn was blaring, so I pulled a few wires( it would not switch off with the key) then there was a nice glow from under the tank, i had a peek and saw flames maybe 10 cm high, called 999 and had to walk 100mtrs to get a road name when I got back to the bike it was out but as it was dark i could not see a thing, the fire engine arrived and lent me a 10mm spanner to disconnect the battery as it was still turning over.
    we had a quick peek and it appears to be some wire behind the rad going to the nearside side of the bike( it may be the oil pressure switch?)
    I locked it up and got a lift to the station, as I`m on nights-so tommorow whenever i get home, train from london then train from birmingham to lye station, then get my father-in-laws truck to collect it-no sleep until its fixed then.

Anybody got any ideas why this could have happened? I will have to update tommorow when I have had a look.

If it it the oil pressure switch can i just disconnect it for now?
    cheers
    Ray

• Wow. Shit happened.

Well, now, before you ride again or connect the battery again, you have to check all the cables belonging to the additional instruments. It is mostly the Y-cable, which causes such fire. It brakes 99% in the region around the steering head, under the plastic covers or around there. There is one power supply cable for the lights in the instrument and to feed them. Open the cables!

The plug is under the tank on the right sight of the frame. You have to examine it all the way to the front.

If you connect the oil pressure cable to the ground, nothing will burn, it's the normal way of electrical use. This is not the cause of your fire.

• I always carry a small fire extinguisher in one of my panniers. No kidding! Almost takes up no space. And I almost had to use it once, not for my ride though, for someones car, where the mechanic left a rug lying on the engine and it lit up after a ride... :police:

• Just been to try and collect her, could not get her onto the truck, will return in the morning with a trailer.

The wire that has burnt goes to the oil pressure switch and runs into the loom for the injectors, it broke when i pulled it, but i can not see until i get her home what extra damage there is.
    Ray

• Dieses Thema enthält 11 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!