Stalling at Idle?

• Greetings:

Late last summer I replaced cracked rubber vacuum caps and breather hoses on my 1985 K100. It ran quieter and smoother BUT after that "fix" the bike killed when slowing down at stop signs. This was after the motor was well warmed up, not cold. Before replacing the rubber parts it never stalled. Never!

Any idea what might be causing my motor to die like this?

I am thinking that perhaps the throttle bodies need to be balanced or synchronized as I have no idea when that was last done.

Could out-of-sync throttle bodies be causing this stalling?

I am considering buying a Carbtune Pro.

Is that a good unit? Does it come with the proper fitting for the K100? How easy is balancing the K100 throttle bodies? I must do the work myself.

Thanks much!

• Dear Herb,

in fact if there were leaks for air to come in uncontrolled before and now it is sealed again after that fix this for sure influences running at idle speed. So normally after that you should synchronize the engine for smooth running.
    Did you check idle speed? It might be too low now, so check and fix (its easy, only one screw).
    After that check again wether the switch for idle works properly. It should sound "klick" immediately when moving the throttle and klick again when throttle coming back to idle.
    Hope this helps a little bit.

br

Bernhard

• Well, a T.B. sync would be a good thing.

But before you do that,
    1. check your valve clearances.
    2. change fuel filter.
    3. check tps setting.
    4. new spark plugs(after valve check).
    5. check condition of the rubber tubes between the throttle bodies and the injector housings.

Then you should be able to do a meaningful sync.

• Hello there, I had the same problem after rebuilding the air intake and supress "all" the leaks, the diagnostic was poor air mixture, once the air mixture mas enriched, the problem was solved.
    Best regards
    JAP

• Scott, I'm a big believer in the KISS principal and therefore always look for the easy way out.
    Herb said that the K ran sweetly before the simple fix of replacing some rubber, thereafter, a problem. The problem has to be caused by "the fix."..... nothing to do with other areas viz. fuel filter, valve adjustment etc.
    Obviously, the mixture balance has been severely altered and a synch/tune is all that is required.
    A full tune up is a great idea but for me, only when required.

• Dieses Thema enthält 12 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!