To use all functions of this page, you should register.

Making RS faring straight again

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Making RS faring straight again

Hello!

Yesterday I had a first attempt to make things with faring straight ;). Yet I fail flawlessly. The operation is much complicated that, I foreseen. For sure a template for keeping 4 mounting holes in the bracket is a must in order to be able to reinstall the faring after whole play with pipes, hammers and levers. Second thing is a kind of bracket mounted in place of fuel tank, maybe also reaching clutch/gearbox housing to get measurements base. And a lot of time.
      Well that are my thoughts after first attempt with K1100 RS. I just add that the price of a new bracket is way too high :mad:

Best regards,
    • Re: Making RS faring straight again

Nachdem ich mit meinen als gut bekannten Englischkenntnissen nur Bahnhof verstanden habe,
      kommt hier die Babbelfisch-Übersetzung:

Gestern hatte ich einen ersten Versuch, die Dinge mit gerade ergeht;). Doch ich nicht einwandfrei. Die Operation ist sehr kompliziert, die ich vorgesehen. Eine Vorlage für die Aufbewahrung von 4 Befestigungsbohrungen in der Klammer ist sicher ein muss zu wiedereinsetzen die ergeht nach ganze Spiel mit Rohren, Hämmern und Hebeln können. Zweite Sache ist eine Art Halterung montiert an Stelle der Kraftstofftank, vielleicht auch Kupplung und Getriebegehäuse Messungen base zu erreichen. Und eine Menge Zeit. Gut, das sind meine Gedanken nach dem ersten Versuch mit K1100 RS. Ich nur noch hinzufügen, dass der Preis für eine neue Halterung viel zu

Wird da vielleicht eher jemand schlau draus ?

Der Kollege Rafal erzählt über seine bisher gescheiterten Versuche, die Verkleidungsaufhängung seiner geliebten Marakesch-roten ÖlverRS mittels Hammer und Biegewerkzeug so zu richten, dass hinterher die Verkleidung wieder drüber passt und zwar an den dafür vom Hersteller vorgesehenen Befestigungslöchern. Er sinniert weiterhin, dass eine Formlehre, die alle Befestigungspunkte einschliesst, sehr hilfreich wäre, sowie dass deren Erstellung mit erheblichem Zeitaufwand verbunden sei.
      Einfach das Geweih neu zu kaufen scheidet aus Kostengründen aus.

hth,
      Klaus ;)
      ...das Leben ist zu kurz für schlechte Routen...

Hut ab, ich wusste auch nach der "Übersetzung" nicht , wo die Glocken hängen :)
      Vielleicht hat ja jemand ein Geweih für ihn ?

Guys, for God Sake, English byte :).
      If I would be so lucky (or hard working) to know German, I have not had been posting question in English about German bike on German Forum :thumbup: .

Best regards,

Well I have used the Google translate to get the point. More and more I get feeling that fixing the faring would not be easy or cheap (can be easy but not cheap :) ). Ether or other way I won't touch it in any complicated way until Autumn - time to enjoy the ride. Yet I want to collect as many insight and ideas as possible.

Best regards,

Well, Rafal, Bernd did not understand your english text, so I did some kind of loose translation.

By the way, since there's no request or question in your writing, did you
      * just want to inform us on your failure to repair the fairung's brackets?
      * require help or tips in doing so?
      * ask for a source of a used part as a replacement?

somewhat :confused: ,
      Klaus
      ...das Leben ist zu kurz für schlechte Routen...

"Klaus_GP" wrote:

* require help or tips in doing so?
      * ask for a source of a used part as a replacement?

Those two matters are vital to me. I just want to share my observations and plans. So if they are wrong it can be corrected before I do sth. stupid.
      Thank you input.

Best regards,

Rafal, you can have a few data points. If the two attachments on the frame where the top half is fitted (each side of radiator) are ok then you can find out where the 4 forward points are to be, which allows you to set-up the 'antlers'. If they are not OK they are still available and not expensive.
      Cheers, René

Greetings from Florida! [Blocked Image: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc2/hfxrzw/Rain.gif]

Ihre antwort in Deutch wird verstanden

Hello!

Top attachments, that you have mentioned, probably are bended :(. Yesterday I put back the fairing. No I am sure, that left side is front and down. Right might be a bit to close to frame. An interesting thing, that left side black "fill" pats , i.e. fuel gauge, metal bracket and plastic match perfect. Right side, although lower faring piece meets engine mount perfect and side panel has proper gaps, temp. gauge and its' parts do not fit as one could wish.
      After the summer I'll try to talk with car body workshop to use theirs flat floor with rails and other stuff. I hope that using workshop tools (made to make car body straight) allow me to make measurements, and workers experience will allow to make fairing straight - that's the plan for now.
      The question: can bracket mounting bolts and holes can be used as reference points for fairing mounting holes (is it clear what I write ? )?

Best regards

Rafal, clear, but I would focus on making sure that the fairing doesn't come under undue stress. This means that you would adjust the brackets to the fairing. I don't know if you have a new fairing or am fitting an old (repaired?) one, but it is important that your fairing gets fitted stressfree on your bike. You have all the required parts there :)
      Cheers, René

Greetings from Florida! [Blocked Image: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc2/hfxrzw/Rain.gif]

Ihre antwort in Deutch wird verstanden

Central firing is one piece, no signs of crack. That is why I want to use a kind of template - a piece of plywood to keep the 4 firing mount holes aligned, while I'll try to move the bracket to centre position.
      It looks like that when accident had happen - a side drop or side slide (before I bought the bike) the fairing as whole had moved relatively to bike. The weakest point were vertical part of bracket (or connection with frame head) and side mountings.
      When I think about it I must admit plastics on BMW are quite strong. The mass of a K1100 should shred plastic to pieces - yet it still in one piece. On Japanese bikes I have seen minor drops with fatal damages to faring pars.

Best regards

The "Plastic" on the elderly BMW's some kind of fiber-resin compound material, while the modern bikes (bmw alike those from J) usually really only have "plastics", which is much more due to cracking and tearing.

You will drive yourself nuts trying to straighten a fairing bracket. Though I nearly always use previously used, frequently damaged and repaired fairing panels after crashing or tipping over, I have learned through practice not to even try to straighten a fairing bracket. I suck it up and buy a new one. The amount of time spent (wasted) straightening (or more likely not) is worth more to me than the cost of the bracket.

"Themason" wrote:

You will drive yourself nuts trying to straighten a fairing bracket. Though I nearly always use previously used, frequently damaged and repaired fairing panels after crashing or tipping over, I have learned through practice not to even try to straighten a fairing bracket. I suck it up and buy a new one. The amount of time spent (wasted) straightening (or more likely not) is worth more to me than the cost of the bracket.

+1

I replaced the main fairing bracket that bolts to the steering head, on my '97LT this year.
      I can't say as I ever remember dropping the bike hard enough to bend and tear the bracket webbing, none of the fairing plastic was cracked or broken.
      Either way, I just replaced the bracket, and put it back together. Everything even lined up right.... :thumbup: