To use all functions of this page, you should register.

K1100LT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi Everybody,

I'm brand new to Flyingbrick and not sure if this is the correct way to ask a question, but here goes, my apologies if I'm doing this incorrectly.

I'm a real old welsh guy living in South Africa, been a biker since before my teen years, emigrated to ZA 20 years ago after taking early retirement.
    This is an amazing country for all types of motorbike activities and I have covered quite a few hundred kilometres on the gravel roads here, but I decided on a change and have just purchased a K1100LT
    to do some serious tar road travelling.
    On buying the bike I was told it had not been ridden for quite a long time and that was evident by the smell of the petrol remaining in the tank. So I emptied and flushed/cleaned the tank, blew out the suction filter/strainer put some new petrol in the tank and with the fuel manifold supply pipe disconnected energised the fuel pump to check flow, all appeared good.
    I did not put very much fuel in the tank to carry out various runs in and out of town and the bike performed well/smooth.
    I made ready for a trip to Cape Town filled the fuel tank full and started off, it was a hot 30 degree cent. with hot gusting wind but overall a great day for a long bike ride.
    Some way into the trip the bike cut out, could not see any good reason, no over temperature/over heating problem evident, so after scratching the head I looked into the fuel tank (Gauge not working) and it was partially empty (I would estimate around half way) so I topped up the fuel (always carry a container with me) and the bike fired up and ran faultlessly until it cut out again, I filled the tank and started the bike and off we went this happened all the way to journeys end partially empty tank bike stops!!
    As I wrote I rode locally on the bike with the minimum of fuel on board and the bike performed faultlessly but this (first) long distance run has thrown up a strange problem and I really don't know what to look for has anybody experienced this problem or similar can anyone please offer any advice or remedy to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance
    mick
  • Mick_ZAF wrote:

I did not put very much fuel in the tank to carry out various runs in and out of town and the bike performed well/smooth.

Mick_ZAF wrote:

Some way into the trip the bike cut out, could not see any good reason, no over temperature/over heating problem evident, so after scratching the head I looked into the fuel tank (Gauge not working) and it was partially empty (I would estimate around half way) so I topped up the fuel (always carry a container with me) and the bike fired up and ran faultlessly until it cut out again, I filled the tank and started the bike and off we went this happened all the way to journeys end partially empty tank bike stops!!
    Hello Mick,
    temporary faults are always hard to "tele-diagnose"
    and there is always the danger of over-interpreting correlation into causality.
    (The famous faulty side stand switch comes to mind, much spent fuel after topping up
    means long continuous running of the engine, which means more heat in some components
    that might be on the verge of breakdown etc.)

Anyway, something's missing, fuel or spark. (or both :) )

So just some Ideas that follow the theory of fuel level dependent
    cutting out:

"Fuel":
    When you opened the tank cap to check fuel after the K cut out first time,
    did you recognize anything in the way of a hissing/slurping sound?
    Did you ever try to restart the K *after* opening the cap but *without* topping up the fuel?
    (Idea: vacuum building up with time because of clogged spillover pipe)

"Spark":
    You didn't mention any spent fuses,which you should check for
    correct ratings in a newly aquired used motorcycle anyway
    (I think 1100s only got 15 A rated fuses, but I'm not certain)
    so I suppose a short circuit in the fuel gauge (either in the tank,
    dependent on a certain position of the swimmer arm oder in the
    non-working gauge (analog fuel-o-meter) is out of question.
    Not out of question, though, is a temporily faulty contact
    or internally broken/shaky wire (interruption) of the power lines (+12 V and Ground)
    going to the petrol pump.

When running OK on *high* fuel level, (so there is no
    flammable fuel air mixture around potentially "sparky" components,
    remove the fuel cap (4 screws) and
    -wiggle the mentioned wires carefully using a e.g. screwdriver
    -press down slowly the swimmer arm for fuel gauge and fuel indicator light
    beyond the position it should be in when the "supposed critical fuel level"
    seemed to cut out the motor.

Good luck
    and kind regards,
    Knut
    So it goes...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Knut_Berlin ().