Instruments cluster connector issues

• Hello!

I have a gremlin in the gear display and neutral light. It hides, i suspect, somewhere cluster connector.
    1st - how to disassemble the connector and get to singular contacts?
    2nd - I have noticed that pcv sleeve is crushed and there are bear wires in place where a zip tie holds the wires.
    3th - How the cluster wire harness is guided in RS variant? In my bike it comes form under the tank, then close to frame bracket, next to steering lock and to the cluster. The thing is, that wires are sharply bend just next to connector, IMHO that's why the PCV sleeve is crushed.

Best regards,

• Hi Rafal.

I had a problem with gear indicator at my K1100LT. Wrong gears indicated or no indication at all. Fault was in gear position switch at the gearbox. Water came inside and caused corrosion.
    You need to remove swingarm to replace this switch.
    Possibly it can be repaired, but when I disassemlied mine, I've lost some small parts. Anyway I had a new one. Also as I remember that it is not possible to disassemble gear position switch without damaging it's body.

Best regards.

• I have checked the gear sensor - disassembled etc... , wire harness it works fine, all positions in right negative logic BCD coding. Also I have checked the instruments on a bench - display has worked fine.
    Either way I want to take a part that connector to fix pcv sleeve and make sure that it is not a connector fault.

Is there a source of replacement for connectors network inside the clock - that blue thing with cooper traces?
    Is there a source of replacement for Gore-Tex breathers in instruments housing?

Best regards,

• Zitat von "Rafal"

Either way I want to take a part that connector to fix pcv sleeve and make sure that it is not a connector fault.

Disassembling BMW connectors is interesting job. They use many different systems. Usually you need first to unlock plastic connector body.
    Sometimes one connector body part slides against another after unlocking very small "teeth".
    Sometimes there is some small plastic stripe or something like this, wich must be removed, turned e.t.c.

And only after unlocking connector body you can remove single contact pin with wire, wich has it's own fixing tab (or tabs)
    Please see an example. Sorry, I've never disassembled instrument cluster connector :oops:
    [attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->connector.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Zitat von "Rafal"

Is there a source of replacement for connectors network inside the clock - that blue thing with cooper traces?
    Is there a source of replacement for Gore-Tex breathers in instruments housing?

Single parts for instrument cluster could be ordered through BMW. It must be rather expensive :idea:
    They released on-line parts catalogue. BTW there you can find production date, color and VIN specific options. :thumbup::thumbup:
    Instrument cluster - main group 62.
    On-line ETK
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/manuals_main.html&notrack=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/inde ... &notrack=1</a><!-- m -->
    "Electronic Parts Catalogue"

If you need single contact pins, I think you need to find some big electronic store. Possibly they have different pins...

Regards.

• And the mastery gremlin is smashed. The cause of gear display problems was loose circuit board. It moved a few millimeters on long pins. It was enough to push it back, and all works fine. The board was secured with 3M ear plug placed between pin connector and tachometer board!

Yet, still I am looking for alternative of Gore-Tex breathers.

Best regards,

• I hope it was an unused ear plug :lollol: Good detective work.

As for the Goretex, you could take a page from my V-Rod. The instrument module is not sealed at all from behind! Amazing. It sits in an aluminum housing on the handlebar clamp, but is open to the air underneath. Needless to say, no hosing that part of the bike off. Then again, the guages never fog up either.

• Dieses Thema enthält einen weiteren Beitrag, der nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar ist, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diesen lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!