Aluminium Home Repair

• Hi guys,
    Came across an article in BikeSA that might be of interest to you. (leaking petrol tanks?
    Its about a product called DURAFIX which fixes aluminium surfaces without the need of special TIG, MIG, RIG and other types of-IG welding. The chap that wrote the article said that he has been welding for years until he came across this product and its ease if use. He goes on to say that it is very good for the likes of fixing radiatirs etc. He even gave his complete novice wife a Coke can which she welded within ten minutes.
    The procedure:
    1. Brush metal clean with "supplied" stainless steel wire brush.
    2. Heat metal to 400 degrees C (730F)with propane gas gun . (How do you know when you are up to 400?)
    3. Wait a minute or two for metal to heat. (Oooh)
    4. Touch Durafix rod to metal just outside the repair.
    5. Durafix rod will wet the surface with a layer of rod when heat is right, then spread over hole/crack to be repaired.
    6. Leave for 30 - 60 seconds until hard.
    When cool,carry out any filling or grinding necessary to finish off the surface.

I would guess that the product should be available worldwide, and it sounds pretty useful to me. Ciao.

• I was thinking of buying some to repair a hole in my K75 valve cover, currently partially filled with liquid metal .. its always seem to seep oil though.
    Just priced a new cover at $392 or $420 (schwartz), been looking for a 2nd hand one for a while.
    Problem though, I think the covers are magnesium, I grabbed this from the Australian Durafix site.. http://www.durafix.com.au/index.php?content=faq.htm

Zitat

Magnesium:
    Is the item you are trying to weld melting before the rod?
    I would take a guess that the part that you are having trouble welding has or may have a Magnesium content. The item to be welded may start swelling or just fall apart when heated. I have welded the door strikers on my 38 ford, having to hold the heat back and bring it up to temperature very carefully and then back the heat off as soon as the rod adheres...a very fine line as it starts to bubble and pop as the muck/magnesium within explodes. Supporting the item or encapsulating the outside walls will stop the item falling apart.
    You can use durafix as a casting rod...use casting sand, exhaust putty or mild steel (panel-steel) as a mould or support.
    My saying is "if it's pure magnesium - glue or chuck it out!

Back to square one .. anyone got a K75 valve cover they don't need ?

• Zitat von "Stoney"

I was thinking of buying some to repair a hole in my K75 valve cover, currently partially filled with liquid metal .. its always seem to seep oil though.
    Just priced a new cover at $392 or $420 (schwartz), been looking for a 2nd hand one for a while.
    Problem though, I think the covers are magnesium, I grabbed this from the Australian Durafix site.. http://www.durafix.com.au/index.php?content=faq.htm

Back to square one .. anyone got a K75 valve cover they don't need ?

K-75 valve covers are aluminum. You should be able to find one used from any BMW used parts emporium. Try The Partshaus in Long Beach California, 562.590.4851 .

• OooBee,
    That has been around for many years and I still have a piece of it around somewhere.
    It was available to the engineering industry when I was at work. Not to the public then so I suppose I must have perloined it.
    We called it "Ali solder" and it was in square form rods.
    What else is new.
    Ajays

I wouldn't put a flame near anything Magnesium, when machining the stuff we had a bucket of sand close by. It fires at low heat. There is no Magnesium on our bikes...why would there be.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!