Side Stand Hits Exhaust

• Hello Folks,

My '88 K100RS LE has always leaned excessively on the side stand. It was this way when I got it with 150K miles. Also, when I fold-up the stand, it hits the pipe (misses the rubber cushion). The stand I don't think is bent, and although it seems impossible, it seems like the base tab is bent. Is this possible? Can it be heated and bent back? I've tried twice. Could the pipe itself be mounted wrong?

When I bought the bike, the side stand was in the saddlebag.

RZ Rob

• When I got my '97 I noticed the same thing. Did some investigating and found that the bolt for the side stand was loose and the bushing insert was worn out, so it would hit the pipe and lean real far.
    New bushing and tightened the bolt and it's much better. The lean even improved a little bit. I'm thinking of a mod like Ajay's.

If the bracket is bent, they are available used for reasonable prices to replace it with.

• Thanks guys. Has anyone ever tried heating-up and bending that perch that the side stand (and center stand) bolts to? Because it's cast, and heavily reinforced, I haven't been able to bend it yet, but I'm thinking of finding a friend with an oxy-acetylene torch (Map Gas) doesn't seem hot enough.

BTW, I bought the new bushing (had to buy it with bolt and new grease fitting (design change)).

RZ Rob

• There is supposed to be a small plastic bumper on the surface of the side stand that contacts the exhaust face. It is riveted to the side stand tab.

• Zitat von "scott_anderson"

When I got my '97 I noticed the same thing. Did some investigating and found that the bolt for the side stand was loose and the bushing insert was worn out, so it would hit the pipe and lean real far.
    New bushing and tightened the bolt and it's much better. The lean even improved a little bit. I'm thinking of a mod like Ajay's.

If the bracket is bent, they are available used for reasonable prices to replace it with.

:cool:

I had the same problem and resolved it the same way, I am going to try Ajay's solution it sounds very practical indeed.

BIG D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!