Inexpensive Fram oil filters work.

• Just swopped my "painted" Fram filter (PH2964) for a new Fram today after 5,000kms.
    It looked as good as the new one!!!.....so much for the paint coming off and clogging oilways???
    I must admit however, that the paint appears to be baked on and is only a micron or two thick.
    I refilled with ONLY 3,25 litres of good ol' Shell Helix 20W50 and the level is spot on in the centre of the glass. I discovered this "secret" awhile back, and all my oil leaks when I was putting in the recommended 3,75 litres, ceased.
    Might just be usefull information to one or two of you out there.

• Zitat von "OoB"

Just swopped my "painted" Fram filter (PH2964) for a new Fram today after 5,000kms.
    It looked as good as the new one!!!.....so much for the paint coming off and clogging oilways???

Hi Frank;
    same here ... I use Ryco Z418 (fits BMW cars as well as others) which are painted. The effect of oil is to change the colour slightly but that is all.
    Also, I've just taken the water/oil pump off to replace the seals (110k km) and I've found that the inside of my oil pump is painted black, the same colour and paint outside on the outside. Interestingly the paint is in the perfect condition on the inside, but flaking on the outside :)

Zitat

I must admit however, that the paint appears to be baked on and is only a micron or two thick.

I am only guessing, but i think that they use the paint that will take the temperature.

Zitat

I refilled with ONLY 3,25 litres of good ol' Shell Helix 20W50 and the level is spot on in the centre of the glass. I discovered this "secret" awhile back, and all my oil leaks when I was putting in the recommended 3,75 litres, ceased.

thanks to your tip I now start with 3.0L and find the level, initially, it just below the dot. Also, I've noticed that the difference between low and high in the window is about 0.5L.

• It's not paint. It's powder coating. The colored parts are powder coated before being machined.

• The difference in bypass pressures between car filters and those specifically intended for our bikes is the reason I am not running a car filter on any of my bikes. Are people really that cheap that they cannot pop for the price of the correct filter? I live 140 miles from the nearest dealer and order them a half dozen or more at a time, along with spark plugs and fuel filters. The dealer ships for free.

• Hi Rafel,
    As mentioned before, here in southern temperate climates, we do not have to worry about bypass valve opening pressures as long as certain precautions are taken. The winter temperatures are mild, the bike is garaged and oil is changed regularly as is the "still clean" filter.
    I don't think a bypass valve ever opened when I was still using OEM filters...a waste of money. Ride safe.

• Dieses Thema enthält 11 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!