8V head on K11 bottom end

• OK - the first question you are asking is "why" ???? :roll:

There have been many 16V engines stripped and the heads sold off for Mini conversions. That leaves a lot of inexpensive 1100 bottom ends lying around ! ;)

I know because I did it! The bottom end in question is absolutely perfect with the hone marks still on the bores and perfect bearings, etc..

Generally 8 valve engines give more grunt than 16V's - so the concept is -larger capacity and more grunt [ hopefully], should make for an inexpensive and sweet motor.

I sold the 16V head for £250 - almost the price I had the complete engine advertised for ! [ £300 ], AND I've just bought a spare 8 valve head for £40 - seems a good swap!

I guess it will all revolve around valve pocket clearance, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done the conversion. :cool:

• Beachcomber,
    Wasn't there a Danish guy on the old site, who had played around with different engines and cylinder heads?

Cheers

JBW

• JBW,

there's at least 2 of us going down this route now - so we WILL make it happen. In reality it's no big deal - just have to check the valve / piston crown clearances.

I'm intrigued to see what a difference the 8 valve head will make. If it's anything like the old air cooled Kwackers - the 8 valve was far more torquey than the 16 valve and the weapon of choice for Drag Racing because of that. :evil:

Yet another pal is going down the 1200 bottom end route - that will be interesting. :cool:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!