abs2 fault codes and resistance values K1100RS?

• G'day All,

I am helping a friend fix the ABS2 on his 1996 K1100RS. Could one of you fine experts please help me with the following questions?

1. Are the fault codes the same as for ABS1?
    2. Are the diagnostic checks the same as for ABS1? That is, the resistances/voltages measured at the ABS controller connector.
    3. My understanding is that to read the fault codes, I count the dips in voltage. This seemed to work on my K100RS with ABS1. Is this correct for ABS2?

Initially the ABS lamps were flashing alternately. The fault code was 7 (7 dips). After following the reset procedure, they were flashing together as per normal. After riding away, once the brakes are activated, the lamps flash alternately again, fault code 7 again. For ABS1 this is the ABS controller faulty, but I am not convinced yet. After all, the controller is able to deliver a fault code, so it is not completely dead.

Any advise would be appreciated please.

• did you reset for at least 250sec ???
    the usual resetting time of aprox 30 sec is sometimes not enough to clean it´s memory

check that first.
    says a ABS 2 dummy who tried to reset without grunding

peter-kr has got an ABS 2 diagnosis list.
    translated from danish to german by dutch guy ;)

Ein Y-Chromosom macht das Leben unbeschwert

Grüße von Olaf aus H-U

• I only did the reset long enough for the lights to stop flashing. There were no fault codes (steady 11V) after the reset, until the next attempt to ride it.

Peter-kr,
    I would love your list please. Any language will do, google translate might do the rest. Otherwise I can scrape through with Dutch.

• I have a document that lists fault codes and diagnostic procedures for both the motronic and the abs systems, as well as some other test procedures. I can't find the electronic file just yet but I got the paper copy off of the bike for the moment.

abs2 fault codes:
    3: front wheel sensor
    4: rear wheel sensor
    5: low battery voltage
    6: ABS relay in ABS hydro unit
    7: Control unit (mounted to side of Hydro unit)
    8: external influence or wheel sensor gap incorrect
    9: unknown
    12: piston fault ( this can be either mechanical or electrical in nature).

I can't say as I remember where I found this file, obviously a forum somewhere. If I can find the electronic file I will post a pm if you would like it e-mailed to you.

Well, I know why I couldn't find the document...... it was an online post.
    Here's the link:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110</a><!-- m -->

• Hi all.

First thing which I think must be done, is to check for loose/broken/corroded power and ground supply wires and connectors to ABS control unit. Also check connections under ABS relay cover.

Fault 7 can be cleared. That is good. Maybe internal error in ABS unit is not fatal.

As I know, when bike's speed reaches 5-10 km/h, ABS unit performs mechanical selftest. It activates pressure modulators and you can hear loud clanking sound. While performing selftest it draws more current than after switching ignition on. So, if there is for example partially broken and corroded power supply wire, ABS unit gets voltage drop in some external or internal curcuits.

It is only my theory :idea: :oops:

Regrds,
    Viktor

• Thanks to all of you for the info.
    Time to visit my friend again I think. He also also the local bike dealer/mechanic (large rural town). Hopefully I can sort out his abs and get a REALLY good discount on some dual-purpose tyres... :thumbup:

• Dieses Thema enthält 3 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!