Fork bearings

• Hi guys,
    Is it only mine or do all K100s go thru fork bearings faster than one would expect? There is a faint "klonk, klonk" when cornering on bumpy roads so will have to jack up the front and check for play on the forks. :?

• Frank (smiley face)and Ajays (Mr Glum),
    If adjusted correctly what kind of mileage should one expect?
    They are pretty heavy machines!

JBW

• Hey Frank...that doesn't have to be a serious problem...the older Forks tend to klonkklonk.

I will enquire, which parts produce that sound. BMW once had a Kit to resolve the issue, but this is not avvailable any more.
    AfaIr it was a sleeve that guides the spring, nothing serious, but I will keep you updated, as soon as I have the complete info.

Can you say, if my friend form Springbok, Eugene made it to the new forum? Haven't seen him yet in here :|

• Zitat von "Webberle"

Hey Frank...that doesn't have to be a serious problem...the older Forks tend to klonkklonk.

I will enquire, which parts produce that sound. BMW once had a Kit to resolve the issue, but this is not avvailable any more.
    AfaIr it was a sleeve that guides the spring, nothing serious, but I will keep you updated, as soon as I have the complete info.

Can you say, if my friend form Springbok, Eugene made it to the new forum? Haven't seen him yet in here :|

Hi Webberle,
    I can actually feel the klonking in the handlebars. (The wobble in the corners reminds me of my rigid frame Harley chopper days...you get used to it!)
    Turned around whilst at the computer (in the garage) and had a quick look at "Rommel" this afternoon, thinking I could quickly jack the front up to get the wheel off for the new tyre and at the same time check out the bearings, then realized that the belly pan has to come off before any jacking on the sump is possible...cancelled the thought!!

I will try to get hold of Eugene as I might have his email address; will keep you posted.

Sorry Webberle, only had contact with Namakwalander via PM on old Forum which is now lost I presume?

• Thanks, Frank for trying to investigate, where our Namqualander has been lost :) Maybe, he will turn up again :)

As for your fork, if you feel the handlebar klonking, it will probably not be that litttle design flaw, that BMW tried to fix by changing the damper valves in the fork that made an ugly noise. Be careful and ty to find out, what your baby is missing ;)
    If the steeringhead bearing is damaged or misadjusted, it would make a klonking effect on uneven roads, as you describe it. For an easy check, you should have a second person in assistance.

:thumbup:

• Dieses Thema enthält einen weiteren Beitrag, der nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar ist, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diesen lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!