Holy Moly?

• After a clutch overhaul I installed the gearbox using the BMW White Moly grease. (I could change this because the gearbox has just been slipped on but not fastened yet).

Now for the driveshaft splines the rave seems to be Honda Moly 60. This fine product never seems to have reached the shores of my humble island.

I have Esso, Shell and BP stations here selling all kinds of grease. Does anyone know which kind of grease from these company´s I could use as a substitude for the revered Honda Moly 60?

Edit: Do you think, if I can get my hands on good Moly type grease, that I should use that on all splines, i.e. gearbox to clutch, gearbox to shaft and shaft to bevel and skip the Optimol White paste???

• Zitat von "TIV"

After a clutch overhaul I installed the gearbox using the BMW White Moly grease. Now for the driveshaft splines the rave seems to be Honda Moly 60. This fine product never seems to have reached the shores of my humble island.

I have Esso, Shell and BP stations here selling all kinds of grease. Does anyone know which kind of grease from these company´s I could use as a substitude for the beloved Honda Moly 60?

Cheers
    TIV

Hi,

If it is white it is not Molybdenum disulphide. All Moly grease is black and must be black.
    White? well it could be Teflon based(? don't know).

I think that I posted (old forum?) a few possible substitute. The trick is that it has to be high temperature, contain moly at high levels (3% will not do it). Neil and I settled on a Molykote (50%) we can get here easily at around AU$38.

I just found it:

Zitat

"a. Loctite 8012,
    b. Molykote M-77 (Dow Corning),
    c. Honda M-77 paste (sold for cars CV joints and splines).
    d. Molybond GA50"

The trick was to look under "assembly grease/paste".

• Hi Ned
    The grease I used for the gearbox drive splines/clutch is "OPTIMOL T WHITE PASTE, CLUTCH/GBOX SPLINES (BMW SPECIFIED) 100grm TIN" as recommended by Motobobins and BMW if (I understand correctly)??
    Just to be sure.... Do you use Molykote M-77 on the gearbox/clutch splines as well as gearbox output splines/driveshaft and bevel drive splines?

• Hi,

If that is what they recommend... it must be ok. I will be using Molykote GA50 on all splines. I am no expert, but everyone swears by Honda stuff, so I looked into it a little.

The story is to use high conc moly containing grease. The grease appears to be a convenient binder and moly does metal-to-metal lubrication. I figure that 50% is as good at 65%.

• TIV
    here is a list of alternate moly lubes from old forum and ibmmwr.org
    1. Loctite 8012
    2. Molykote M-77
    3. Molybond GA-50
    4. Honda moly 60 paste
    I use the honda paste on all splines as I can get it at the local Honda dealer cost is about $10 U.S.

• Ned, John, thanks for the info.

This is the stuff that Motobins sells and recommends for this purpose...............but it is white not black.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?q=optimol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?q=optimol</a><!-- m -->
    Part No.95815 OPTIMOL T WHITE PASTE DRIVESHAFT/G BOX/BEVEL ALL K 100GRAM TUBE

• Dieses Thema enthält 4 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!