Front Forks/Alignment Questions

• Hello all, need some advice on my '87 K75 - it was crashed sometime before I bought it and ever since I've had it the front end has been rather unsteady. right hand turns produce a kind of willful wobble and head shake, and there is a strong tendency for the steering to 'fall in' to that side when turning.
    I just got a new straight pair of bars and I'm going to put em on this weekend but what I wanted to know about is this: without using any dial calipers (which I don't have) and without taking the forks apart (which I don't have the time for), how much can I do to straighten out the front end?

here's what I was thinking:
    1) replace bent bars
    2) have front wheel balanced and checked for straightness
    3) check wheel bearings
    4) with front wheel off (but axle in), bounce fork tube lowers up and down checking for stiction
    5) loosen top and bottom triple clamps and bounce forks up and down in an attempt to get everything back into alignment

regarding number 5 - this is something I've only heard about anecdotally, and I'm not sure exactly how to go about it or even whether it would do any good. I've also heard that when you are doing 4 & 5 you should remove the fork caps and springs... but since I don't have a spring compressor I'm hesitant to do this.
    I should say that at the moment this is my daily driver and that I would only have a weekend to do whatever needs to be done. in a few weeks I'll have my other K75 up and running and I can do a more extensive and thorough job, for the moment I'd just like to ride something that doesn't want to spill me off when I go around a corner - as it has done once already (assisted by a grease strip on an on-ramp).

advice? it would surely be appreciated.
    cheers,
    bennett

• Zitat

and there is a strong tendency for the steering to 'fall in' to that side when turning.

This sounds like steering head bearings

• Paul,
    That sounds right to me, the bearing track gets worn in just one area if it has lacked lubricant.
    A bodge for a quick job would be to remove the track and turn it 90 degrees then when the other bike is on the road you can replace the bearings completely.
    Ajays

• Zitat von "bobthebob"

Hello all, need some advice on my '87 K75.....

advice? it would surely be appreciated.
    cheers,
    bennett

Hi Bennett,

On of our members has produced a video on how to rebuild the forks and align them. I think that his name is Frank, but if you seach Youtube you are sure to find it. It goes for about 10min and there may be a 3 parts to it.

Here is part 2 : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRnAhiClzoY&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRnAhiCl[/media] ... re=related</a><!-- m -->

He uses 2 simple tests to make sure that the forks are lined up correctly.

• Zitat von "bobthebob"

Hello all, need some advice on my '87 K75 - it was crashed sometime before I bought it and ever since I've had it the front end has been rather unsteady. right hand turns produce a kind of willful wobble and head shake, and there is a strong tendency for the steering to 'fall in' to that side when turning.
    cheers,
    bennett

Hi there bobthebob,
    Might be something as simple as a suspect worn tyre. I think you are UK based and if so, the tyre wears faster on the right side due to the camber of the road and on a well used tyre, even one showing slight signs of wear, the problems you are experiencing could be the result.
    When I first rode my "previously-owned" bike, that's precisely what it did. I couldn't believe the improvement when a new tyre was fitted.
    Anyway, if you have to climb into the forks, with the front end jacked up and the wheel removed, turn the handlebar from side to side very slowly to check for any non-smooth operation and grasping both fork legs, try to rock them backwards and forward to check for play in the steering-head bearings; there should be zero movement. Good luck with the investigation mate. :thumbup:

• Dieses Thema enthält 2 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!