Aftermarket 10inch fan

• EDIT: Its an 8 inch fan not 10 inch as I mentioned, sorry for the confusion.

Well after looking at several options, I managed to fit a $70 fan from CheapaAuto, I later saw much the same fan in SuperCheap Auto for $65.
    I did find an ebay bunch in america selling the porsche blower motor which looked identical to the original motor for about $100US delivered to Australia but I figured the original one had died and wanted a cheaper option.

I used the $10 set of plastic bolts mounting method as I needed to fit it in just right, you will see on the photos the original holes I made to fit the fan and found it didn't quite fit in the round top cutout between the frame rails.

The fan had a moulded plastic bracket on the surround that took some supplied fitting to give mountings further out, these had to be taken off with an angle grinder to clear the top cutout as well. Rubber washers are supplied with the mounting kit .. these are needed between the fan and the radiator or the fan will just interfere.

The lower plastic washers had the edges sliced off to fit.

I changed the plug on the bike on the bike to suit the radiator, $5 plug/socket from supercheap was exactly the right type.

Next mod is to add some electronics to turn the fan on for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on to keep the motor happy.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/stonemull/whirlpool/f579de75.jpg]

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/stonemull/whirlpool/622cecae.jpg]

• What lifetime is intended before the bolts running through the radiator are allowed to create leaks in the cooling circuitry?

Just curious,
    Klaus

...das Leben ist zu kurz für schlechte Routen...

• does it make any sense ?
    you bought a strange fan that might kill you cooler?

there´s no need do buy the complete fan from BMW - just an new motor from Bosch

have a look here text is german but the Bosch no might help
    (valid for all 2V engines)

Ein Y-Chromosom macht das Leben unbeschwert

Grüße von Olaf aus H-U

• The bolts are plastic and designed for the job, they are not particularly tight and the fan is not heavy.

The same method has been used for years on many vehicles with brass and aluminium cores.

If this kills the radiator I will eat it and post photos.

Bosch motor 51Euro + postage to australia ? I wanted something now while the radiator was out of the bike.

I was not impressed that the original motor had turned into a half dissolved/melted blob of junk anyway, the whole point was to use a cheap piece of chinese technology that will work as opposed to the overpriced bosch solution that failed in the first place.

• Zitat von "Stoney"

Bosch motor 51Euro + postage to australia ? I wanted something now while the radiator was out of the bike.

afaik : Bosch is in down under as well

Zitat

I was not impressed that the original motor had turned into a half dissolved/melted blob of junk anyway, the whole point was to use a cheap piece of chinese technology that will work as opposed to the overpriced bosch solution that failed in the first place.

51 € overpriced ?,
    I bet you´ve got an 75` - the bosch version had to quit ! because the 75 almost never needs the fan.

the same thing will happen with every "cheap-sunglasses" version

Ein Y-Chromosom macht das Leben unbeschwert

Grüße von Olaf aus H-U

• Zitat von "zonenfeile"

afaik : Bosch is in down under as well

I rang around a bit .. I could get a secondhand one (described as fair to average) for $200, BMW dealer here wanted $430 for the fan and motor with an approximate 2 week wait. I could not locate a bosch supplier on the gold coast where I live at all.
    Minimum cost for a new motor appeared to be around $150 with a wait with no bike or put it back together and run with no fan again for a few more weeks.

Yes its a K75 .. takes about 10 minutes at idle after a long ride to get the fan to kick in, it doesn't run hot but I was sick of feeling the temperature/pressure in the bottom radiator hose while I was at traffic lights once I found out the fan was shagged. I was paranoid.

Zitat

the bosch version had to quit ! because the 75 almost never needs the fan.

Thats why I'm going to either put a manual fan switch or mod to run the fan for a few seconds at ignition on or preferably when ignition turned off like many other bikes do.

• Dieses Thema enthält 18 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!