Steering damper for a K75RT

• Is it possible to install original or aftermarket (adjustable) steering damper to K75RT? Has anyone tried this?

• From Gunsmoke:http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorc…5s/k75s_improvements.html
    "BMW designed a friction style, non-adjustable steering damper for the K75S. It consists of a plastic tube, around which fits a rubber collar. The tube fits around the steering stem, and the rubber collar is kept from rotating via two pointed screws that pierce its outer circumference and the frame's head tube. BMW uses a viscous grease between the steering stem and the plastic tube to create friction between the stem and the tube, and impart some damping to the steering assembly. When new, the system works quite well. In my experience, though, the pointed screws gradually work their way out of the rubber collar, allowing it to drop down the steering stem. This neutralizes the steering damper, since the plastic tube and steering stem are then free to move together. When replacing steering bearings, it is almost impossible to determine when proper bearing adjustment has been achieved, since the steering damper masks the increase in turning effort that signals a properly adjusted bearing. Retracting the pointed screws during the bearing adjustment procedure allows the damper to drop down the steering stem, where it cannot be retrieved without disassembling the steering mechanism, thereby voiding the bearing adjustment. I've crafted a spacer out of pvc tubing that prevents the damper from sliding down the steering stem. Its pierced on one side to allow entry of the fork lock, and a little silicon seal prevents it from turning on the stem. So far it seems to be working fine, but if the silicon seal lets go, the fork lock may be disabled. There is also nothing to prevent the steering damper from working its way UP the steering stem, again escaping the grasp of the pointed screws.

The ultimate solution is a damper similar to that fitted to the R100RS, which would require re-routing of the front brake lines and modifications to the handlebar switch pad...

This guy seems to have considered a mod...

Found these also in <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.harris-performance.com/website/acatalog/Online_Catalog_BMW_front_fork_springs_101.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.harris-performance.com/webs ... s_101.html</a><!-- m -->

Cheers

JBW

• Zitat von "TIV"

Is it possible to install original or aftermarket (adjustable) steering damper to K75RT? Has anyone tried this?

afaik:

my 75 has the fluidblock, (just can´t find it in realoem) , :roll: - should be in yours as well

I would try it without damper , if all components are in good shape - you might not need any damper.

Ein Y-Chromosom macht das Leben unbeschwert

Grüße von Olaf aus H-U

• TIV
    Another indirect solution is wider handlebars, here you can apply more leverage and control with less effort!

I think Beachcomber working on something at the moment.

Cheers

JBW

• Guys,
    Fluid block damper, not listed as I can find by Motobins on line parts catalogue!

Cheers

JBW

• I am changing the steering head bearings. The fluid block is still working but it is 20 years old and has many marks from the pointed screws. I would probably put new block in if I could get it but I´m not eager to put the old one in because then I will have to tear everything down again if it starts to leak! Hate to think about that! :evil:

I have a LT handlebar, pretty high and wide, so I guess I´ll just throw out the Fluid Block and work on a real solution next winter if needed. I´m waiting for the steering head bearings and there is plenty to work on in the meantime :mrgreen:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!