K75 - Pinholed Petrol Tank

• Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good method of mending a pinhole in the aluminium of a K75 petrol tank.

It's near the lip of the tank close to the two fuel pipes.

There are a lot of products that claim to be able to fix any leak, anywhere, but in reality, they seldom seem to work for me.

Tank is off the bike, empty and on the bench.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

• Ideally the best method is for a machine shop to seal/repair it by welding, but that can cause damaged paint sometimes, and is inhearantly dangerous because it's a fuel tank.
    Anything that you put on the inside for a coating can/will break loose. Causing plugged filter and the leak to start again.

You might try to look for a used tank from a breaker yard or someone parting a bike out.

• Hi,

the only proofen method except welding within this forum is using a special type of window glue/seal used for glueing car windows to the carbody. You have to work very clean, use the related primer and then apply the glue in accordanc with the specs.
    The recommended type of glue is "Wuerth Ultimate Scheibenkleber". Just google and appreciate the results. Unfortunately I do not know any english name/brand for identical product if existing.

Anything else except welding just forget (my experience).

Hope it can help.

br

Bernhard

• Just an update.

Tried Granville Petro Patch putty which worked fine for about three months, then started leaking as it softened through the middle of the patch. Granville are investigating as they've never heard of that before, apparently.

Have now used Belzona 1221 and it's been fine for a few days. Time will tell.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!