K1100 right fork damper cartridge with 'Z' marking

• Hello!

Service manual has following remark in fork assembly part:

Zitat

Install damper cartridge with hole pattern “Z”
    (tension stage) in the right-hand slider tube.

I am fiddling with forks and seals. I looked yesterday at cartridges and I cant notice Z marking. Do You have any pictures? Or somebody can describe how it should look like?
    I don't want to find my self in situation with badly swapped dampers by previous owner.

Best regards

• Hi Rafal,

don't look for a Z-shaped pattern of holes. "Z" is only the figure from the drawing. The right damper cartridge has holes at the very bottom. If I remember it right there were 4 of them.

If your front fork is leaking, make sure to replace the gasket as well as the two brass guide bushings (one in the slider tube (5), one at the lower side of the stanchion (5))

Make sure that the lock ring (13) which holds down the spring assembly is in it's place. When I bought my bike they was missing on both sides.

Take care

Regards,

Thomas

• Thank you for explanation. Uff - I feel much better now.
    I have to take apart right leg, because I forgot to put steel ring under the seal :(.I hope that the seal will survive disassembly.
    About guide bushings. I looked at them carefully yesterday. They are made of brass, yet has something like PTFE coating, it feel "plastic" in touch. And when I make a tiny dent by accident, there is no scratch, rather kind of mark on ripped plastic bag. Those bushings looks to me like some standard slip bearing: TUP, TUF. I have to look through catalogue and take more measurements.
    There is no free play on the fork - so I don't see a reason to replace the bushings.

Best regards,

• Zitat von "Rafal"

There is no free play on the fork - so I don't see a reason to replace the bushings.
    Best regards,

Funny thing about this bushings is: They wear out on the opposite side of what you would expect. Don't change them if the coating is unharmed on the in- and outside. Change them if you can see any metal shine underneath the coating.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!