knackered universal joint and spline

• today, eventualy got to grease splines in my lt.
    to my surprise i saw a knackered spline on bevel side ( gearbox side perfect)
    and very bad universal joint bearings.
    my bike was and now is very well maintained by myslef. im doing mostly highway runs.
    very low "trashing" coeffecient ;).
    now im wondering what might have brought such effects.
    my LT is topping up to 90kkm.

• The story is all about tribocorrosion, which basically means wear of two metallic parts with a tight fit and slow movement between the parts. BMKW didn't mention this part in their maintenance plan and so usually it is left with approx. 20 year old remnants of the factory applied grease. We call the procedure of regreasing "staburagsen" i.e. we apply "Staburags" (NBU 30 PTM) by Klueber. BMW now uses different stuff, but we found it still does its job and should be used every year or two to make the spline last a a million miles :)

Enter "NBU 30 PTM" in the search on this website

• If I recall correctly, some early K75's (and probably K100's) had metallurgy problems with their drive shafts. Even when well lubricated, some failed. You may just be unlucky !!

• i am very aware of need to lubricate splines. i can understand that splines wore, but what about knackered u. joint?
    spline near gearbox was perfect, covered in white grease.
    spline near bevel drive was complete shite...and covered in red
    big amount of very thick red grease was also present on bottom surface on inner swingarm part. (albo on bevel side)

• Matt, I can imagine that having a badly greased spline connection on your FD seriously affects the UJ bearings. The forward end of the shaft is practically fixed over a ring on the fwd splines, so all the axial give and take that is needed when the rear suspension flexes have to come from the splines on the FD. Off course where this is difficult it means that the bearings in the UJ see a lot of additional stress and will fail sooner.

Cheers, René

Greetings from Australia!

Ihre antwort in Deutch wird verstanden

• Zitat von "Webberle"

The story is all about tribocorrosion, which basically means wear of two metallic parts with a tight fit and slow movement between the parts. BMKW didn't mention this part in their maintenance plan and so usually it is left with approx. 20 year old remnants of the factory applied grease. We call the procedure of regreasing "staburagsen" i.e. we apply "Staburags" (NBU 30 PTM) by Klueber. BMW now uses different stuff, but we found it still does its job and should be used every year or two to make the spline last a a million miles :)

Hi Webberle,
    My wife is going to Graz, Austria for the month of May to visit her brother in Schwanberg. How does she go about getting some Staburag for me....what kind of shops sell it. Ooob

Enter "NBU 30 PTM" in the search on this website

• Dieses Thema enthält 3 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!