Gear Indicator Switch? 92 K100RS

• I had the drive-train apart to replace the clutch, had the drive-shaft rebuilt, checked the transmission internals, and replaced all necessary seals and bearings. When I plugged the electrical connectors back together, I had the Gas Gage and the Gear Indicators switched. Soon as I saw that neither were working, I realized the problem and switched them back! Now the Gas Gage works fine, but the Gear Indicator is messed up, 1st gear reads 5, neutral is 4, 4th is 4, and 5th is 5, there is no reading for 2nd and 3rd gears. Did I trash the switch, or do something when I had the transmission open? Can the switch be re-set somehow?

• Les_Green,
    Did you remove the switch when you were servicing the trans, if so sounds like the switch needs to be re- orientated. I've not done this on a K- bike, but on other bikes I removed the switch, clicked it till it showed neutral and made sure trans was in neutral being carefull it's not in a false neutral, then reinstall the switch and check to see if all is well before taking off centerstand. I hope someone with K-bike knowledge will reply to you. I don't have a repair manual handy so this is my best guess.
    JohnC

• Hello, this had hapened to mine afther wet riding, but once things get dry the indicator recovers.
    Best regards
    JAP

• Zitat von "Les_Green"

I had the drive-train apart to replace the clutch, had the drive-shaft rebuilt, checked the transmission internals, and replaced all necessary seals and bearings. When I plugged the electrical connectors back together, I had the Gas Gage and the Gear Indicators switched. Soon as I saw that neither were working, I realized the problem and switched them back! Now the Gas Gage works fine, but the Gear Indicator is messed up, 1st gear reads 5, neutral is 4, 4th is 4, and 5th is 5, there is no reading for 2nd and 3rd gears. Did I trash the switch, or do something when I had the transmission open? Can the switch be re-set somehow?

Hi Les_Green,
    When I serviced my gearbox for the first time, I trashed the gear indicator switch by trying to force the elector drum to seat, not realizing that there was a "flat" side that had to be alligned. The switch was split open andgave the same garbled readings you got when I tried to put it together. Took the easy way out and bought a new one. (Could this be classified as a KISS reaction? :roll: ) OooB

• Hi OoB, JAP, JohnC,
    Thank you all for your replies! Looks like I'll pulling it a part again!! :oops:

Best Regards,
    Les

• Several years ago I made the same mistake when I put my '87 K100RS back together after lubricating the clutch splines. Somehow it fried the internals of the switch: There were some tiny little cylindrical springs inside the switch. One had been literally vaporized.

Tom

• Dieses Thema enthält einen weiteren Beitrag, der nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar ist, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diesen lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!