Fatter front tyre, affects handling

• On the advice of the forum, I fitted a 110/90 Bridgestone front tyre in place of the 100/90 Bridgestone.
    Now, on the way home, as I lean into a particular corner at relatively low speeds, at a certain point it feels as if the back tyre has slipped about 2 inches (50mm) then sticks. I don't believe it is actually sliding, just some funny handling caused by the fatter front tyre.
    The first time it happened I nearly shat myself, :o thinking that I had hit a patch of split diesel fuel but it happens everytime on the same corner and although I have gotten used to it (a bit) I don't want to take the corner any faster and lean more to find out what would happen, if anything. :o
    The 100/90 was so smooth into the same corner.
    Anyone had a similar experience?

• Frank,
    "Shat", past of the more familiar verb, SH**, a quaint English slang word, are your leathers brown by any chance?

Has one been foolish fitting a larger tyre Beachcomber informs us that front and rear wheel are not in track anyway has this accentuated a previously unrecognised problem?
    If it doesn't improve can you swap back?

In England the bigger the rear tyre the bigger the rider's penis, or so they would like to think, however a more just act would be for some of them to have "PRICK" emblazoned on their leathers, though Frank I am very sure, as your friend, that you are not a rider in this category!

Sorry to hear about the problem, perhaps a spacer washer or something can correct the bikes behaviour.

Cheers

John

AKA JBW

• This is simply the wrong size.

The 110/80 is the right one to make any sucess on the front steering behavior. Combined with the usual 140/80 on the rear it will be like a new K ;)

• Hi JBW,
    Nooooo, larger tyre was not fitted as an external manifestation of "you know what." I always thought that a 100/90 tyre was a bit thin and that a bigger footprint on the road would be a safety factor. The correct front size according to the handbook is 100/90 18 56 V and you know I never use V spec tyres. It surprises me that the 110/90 should alter the handling significantly.
    I have however been "pushing" the leaning a bit more and find that once through the "slip", she handles OK. I still maintain that the 100/90 was beautiful and that's what is going back on when this one has had its day.
    At the moment I have:
    Rear: Michilin Macadam 130/90 -17/C65V (the only tyre I could get at that particular shop at the time.)
    Front: BridgestoneSpitfire 11F 110/90-18M/C 61 H

Maybe experimenting with different tyre pressures might be the solution.
    Cheers, Oooob

• Zitat von "hoechst"

This is simply the wrong size.

The 110/80 is the right one to make any sucess on the front steering behavior. Combined with the usual 140/80 on the rear it will be like a new K ;)

Hi hoechst,
    What does the "b" mean?
    OK! That makes good sense as even on cars I never liked "high wall" tyres...too much flex.
    I did not understand from the posts on the Forum that 80 was the way to go.
    In the meantime, I will experiment with tyre pressures. Thanks anyway. OooB

• [warning]Please do not MIX tire brands as YOU want[/warning],

this effects lethal or funny driving situations! In the german part of the forum you would be hang up, if you're telling stories about mixing and then " it was like slippery"...

:o You're a danger seeker !! ( I'm serious!!)

The one " with B" ist extra belted, to manage the heavy weight of the fat BMW's. Take the size 110/80 and 140/80 B and be safe and happy- but the same brand ! Show me your handbook, if there is REALLY the 110/90 listed.

In Europe, and this is the only reference for speed and hard driving circumstances, it is NOT.

• Dieses Thema enthält 21 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!