sudden misfire on K1100lt

• Hi all, first time on forum quite exciting really. The problem of the misfire came after a journey off 100 miles when the machine suddenly would not rev or pull away ( not a good thing to happen on the A 34 during the rush hour). She sparks fine runs on premium grade fuel and has injector cleaner run in the fuel. I am going to change the fuel and air filters to start with and am just wondering if this could be anything to do with the motronic gismo as this appears to control fuel/air ratio for the injectors? :?

Hopefully i won't have to have it checked on a diagnostic machine.
    Any help would be appreciated

Ian

p.s. reading about the vibrarion problems I also have a vibration problem at around 50 mph in 5th gear could this be the alternator ? Was reading about in the forum earlier.

• Hi Ian,

sorry I did not understand your problem exactly, could you please expalin more detailled what happend?

If she just cut off, maybe even for a moment, it could have been the key ignition switch or the side stand switch (if any).
    If she just did refuse to speed up, but did not stop at all the fuel filter might be filled up with dirt and simply near to closed, so just exchange it asap.
    I dont think the airfilter has anything to do with this. But any electrical jokes are possible, too.

Else please explain more details.

br

Bernhard

• Hi Bernhard, the bike just started to misfire when running at approx 60mph, this was about 5 minutes after a 90 mile motorway run (with no problem) and would not pull away. She would start but would cit out if the throttle was opened.

just need the time to look at the problem properly.

Ian

• Zitat von "tyrell006"

Hi all, first time on forum quite exciting really. The problem of the misfire came after a journey off 100 miles when the machine suddenly would not rev or pull away ( not a good thing to happen on the A 34 during the rush hour). She sparks fine runs on premium grade fuel and has injector cleaner run in the fuel. I am going to change the fuel and air filters to start with and am just wondering if this could be anything to do with the motronic gismo as this appears to control fuel/air ratio for the injectors? :?

Hi tyrell006,
    Welcome to the forum and don't forget to fill in your details.....Type year VIN etc.
    As we always say, check the simple things first....ALL connectors to be cleaned, including earths. If problem persists, then we go further.

reading about the vibrarion problems I also have a vibration problem at around 50 mph in 5th gear could this be the alternator ? Was reading about in the forum earlier.

Easy enough to remove alternator and check. How many miles on the clock?
    Cheers, OoB

• Hi,
    Just thought I'd say hello! I'm a Tyrell too! Did you manage to sort out your misfire?

• Hmm, a misfire and loss of power? And all of a sudden. I wonder if the fuel cap vent is plugged or corroded? See if opening the cap a crack solves the problem.
    You could have a vacuum leak. A vacuum hose or some other rubber part might have failed and created the big vacuum leak. Try spraying non-flammable brake cleaner on all the rubber parts and see if this affects the idle at all. Be sure to check the vent hose running from the tank to the top of the engine (do K-1100's even have that hose?). Check the breather hose from the crankcase to the plenum for cracks. You should have hoses attached to the back side of the throttle bodies feeding a vacuum signal to the fuel pressure regulator. One may have come off or broken off.
    If the fuel pressure regulator goes soft and the rail pressure is too low the bike will run miserably, but the way you describe the onset makes me think it is something else.
    Of course it could be a bad coil or plug wire, but from my experience these don't fail often. I'v replaced perfectly good ones chasing a misfire, and buddy that gets expensive fast.
    Every once in a blue moon a spark plug fails, so check them. You might at least find which cylinder is misfiring if you find a fouled plug.

• Dieses Thema enthält 8 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!