5.2 gal gas tank with only 3 gals useable?

• I have had a 92 K75c for about 3 years. I love it. What I don't love is that the range of the bike is very limited. According to specs, the fuel tank holds about 5.2 US gals. but around town, I use about 2.5 to 3.0 gals before the warning light comes on. That means I have 10 or miles of available fuel remaining. It seems that 2+ gals of gasoline are not accessible. Any fixes other than packing a couple of bottles of fuel with me all the time?

Thanks

Gus

• Gus,

I have a '95 K75 which I also love.

I usually try to run it for a while after the yellow fuel light comes on, and generally can get 4 gallons in there by the time I stop to fill up. I live in a rural/suburban area, and gas stations are never too far away.

This summer, I've averaged approximately 48 miles per gallon, which makes me glad.

I haven't had the chance yet to run the tank down to the 'red' light, but I suppose it would be a good thing to do, just to establish a maximum cruising range.

Food for thought.

Bob

• Hi Gus,

thats a typical feature mostly regarded as a problem, but in fact it is not.
    Our K75s all are able to run more than 300km (we do not have miles here) until refueling is needed.
    BUT: For the older versions the red light begins flashing when you speed up very early after 220-250km, but always is off again when running at constant speed. When the red light keeps permanently on whatever you are doing (even at stop at a traffic light or so) 4l of gas are all which remains in the tank. Refilling than needs about 16-18l gasoline, which is wuite correct.

For the newer versions the logic is different as the red light for low fuel comes on first flash and remains constantly ON, so it comes much too early. So I assuem if you take this first flash serious thgere are still about 7-8l rest in the tank.
    So just keep cool and use the rest more effectively before refueling (50 to 80km after first red light still possible without any problems).

br

Bernhard

• Thank you, both, for your comments. My bike will get 45+ mpg on long road trips at modest speeds (although I recently drove through a long heavy thunderstorm and that really decreased mileage!). In daily commuting, it is more like 30 - 35 mpg. Disappointing. At about 100 miles, the light comes on, and I have learned to head for the nearest gas station if I want to keep riding.

However, when my low fuel light comes on, it really needs to be taken seriously. I have tested it and found that I will begin to sputter within the next 10 or so miles. when I pull in to fuel up, I can see what appears to be substantinal remaining fuel in the tank.

this is a challenging problem, but I can live with it. Apparently others don't experience it. I was hoping that someone had a workaround so that remaining fuel could be used.

Gus

• A normal gas mileage for a K75 really is approx. 300km and 15 liters refueling (pls convert that into your units yourself. This is for going quickly overland and highways (not more than 130-140km/h)

The maximum amount of gas, I could ever quench into the tank was 20,1 liters, but the bike was already spitting and hoppping :)
    This is due to the design of the tank..the fuel pump is not able suck out the last drop of fuel as apposed to bikes which have the fuel pump below the tank and let the fuel run gravity driven :)
    But never mind...the refueling is at about 18-19 liters you are coming to the limits, but you will surely go more about 350kms with that much fuel on a K75.
    If your K75 uses much more than what I have ointed out, it might be time to have the engine looked after and find the culprit for the bad gas mileage...

• You might want to look at how your fuel pump is fitted. If it is not seated right (too high) it will start drawing in air sooner that a lower seated pump. Worth a check.

Cheers, René

Greetings from Australia!

Ihre antwort in Deutch wird verstanden

• Dieses Thema enthält 2 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!