frame model/drawings

• Hi folks.

I'm building (or will be) a reverse trike project involving a K100 and a few other bits and I've hit a slight hitch.

Before I start seriously sticking metal to metal I'd like to play around with a few ideas in a CAD pack first and to save a bit of time I'm looking for either a drawing or a CAD model of the frame of a K series. Went straight to the top and asked at BMW about what was available and explained I was even willing to pay a reasonable "copy" fee and got back an unsigned email basically telling me what to do:

Unfortunately we have to disappoint you. On fundamental reasons it is not possible to send you any constructional drawings or data and CAD models. For this we can only ask for your understanding.
    Good mail eh? :|

So I thought ask on a Beemer forum, if no-one has what I'd like they may be able to point me the right way towards someone who may. :thumbup:

I was going to model it physically using a Tamyia kit as a base but changed my mind after a month and a half of emails trying to get a price for a kit and shipping from someone who claimed to be a shop in Taiwan with them in (old) stock. There are only so many ways you can ask HOW MUCH? before you get pissed off with the stalling.

If the worst comes to the worst I'll freeze my butt off in the garage measuring up the frame then building it virtually, but I'd prefer to spend the time in the warm finalising my designs ready for the spring!

Cheers all and thanks for any help/suggestions. Hobbit

• These bikes predate CAD. Heck, you cannot even get a figure out of BMW for the rake. They will tell you trail, but that's all. You are stuck having to measure everything and enter this into CAD yourself. Fun stuff. One of those laser frame straighteners might, for a charge, be able to measure what you need in a format that can be entered into CAD. This might require some nice words and probably some brown bottles too.

• Hobbit - me too...............................

I've already completed a couple of likely candidates we had lying around [ VFR750 and Suzuki VX] to "prove the point" before cutting into my Kays.

A couple of tips - The Tamiya kit is WELL worth the investment - super accurate. I paid $40 for mine from Oz [ + carriage].

Second - IF you are contemplating the MSVA route - then the frame is a free design.

Third - go and ride a Can Am before you start - there are some interesting handling issues with an RT - specifically the tandem bike style seating.

Final and most important - get a copy of Riley and Foales excellent book which covers RT's - that will save you a lot of grief - I know !!

The Tilting Trike chapter was VERY interesting !!!

• Thinking about this a bit, if you have to have a trike, please spare something as worthy as a BMW RT from this fate and make a trike of something less precious, like a Harley or Goldwing perhaps. I'm just saying.............

:lollol:

• Hey Mason,

I could never use up the 7 x k100's and 2 x k1100's if I don't do something with them !!!!

I can only make so many Street Fighters, Cafe Racers, and Race Reps.

BTW - this is a Reverse Trike. Just think of a cross between a Racing Sidecar outfit and Morgan 3 wheeler ............... :thumbup:

• Dieses Thema enthält 4 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!