Fichtel & Sachs versus Showa

• I have Fichtel & Sachs S type forks on my 1990 K75RT. I Put in new progressive springs, and set them up properly last winter. Also put on a new rear shock. This worked out better than I dared expect. The Progressive springs and the setup was a huge improvement.

However I keep hearing that people find Showa superior to Fichtel & Sachs. I have nothing to compare, I have only tried the Fichtel & Sachs.

I would be interesting to hear, from those who have tried both types, if there is a big difference, and what kind of difference it is?

• Funny you ask. A friend of mine once worked in Research at BMW and built the prototypes of the original K's. Tested them too, on the road and at Nardo test track. He actually back dates the forks on later model K's to the early Fichtel Sachs fork. This involves machining the triple clamp for the larger diameter of the early F-S fork tube. The F-S fork tubes are full diameter and chrome plated their entire length. If you look at the fork leg of a Marzocchi or Showa fork the chrome ends just below the seal, the diameter necks down, and the bottom is supported on a bushing. It's not as durable.
    Bushing forks are a royal PITA to change fork seals on, and the bushings do not last that long while the early F-S fork has no bushing to wear and carries the load the whole length of the fork leg. Marzocchi forks had the damping divided between the legs, one leg did compression damping only and the other leg did rebound damping only. Not the best set up. My friend claims the F-S fork is lighter too.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!