I assume this is the Engine Forum as well?? & wet sumping

• not too sure about this site swicheroo - seems like the English option doesn't exactly work as expected...
    anyway - I've got a question about Wet Sumping...
    due to a possible overfill of oil - my sight glass doesn't seem to be working (??) - I've been getting tons of oil (white) smoke upon startup - and I *always* use the centerstand. this didn't happen until oil was added a few days back.
    is the K75 a dry sump motor?? doesn't seem like it as it doesn't have an oil tank - hopefully the oil's not blowing past the rings...
    I'm away from the bike for a bit and when I see her again I'm going to drain and refill but this is keeping me up nights.
    thanks,
    b

ps hopefully people are reading this!

• I'm reading.

Can't say that I've had this problem, but I've read a few threads on the old forum where folks seemed to discourage having too much oil in the engine. May have read this admonition in the Clymer manual, too. Hope it's nothing more than that on your bike.

I've been a little overwhelmed with the amount of german threads here, as we had to 'click and seek' the German forum on the old site.

It has been fun for me to try and brush up on my german as I browse the topics, though, and overall I think the forum will be better for the english speakers once folks find it.

Bob

• :) Yep, you walked into the well worn discussion about oil and too much oil. Search the forum(s) for oil capacity.
    If you have gone an put 3.75L in the sump as the book indicates, you will not see the level in the glass because it is too full.

Frank, goes under the different user name here, has researched the oil level question and the consensus of the opinion was that 3L refill is all that is needed. Make sure that you check the next day before you start the engine. You should see the level and and it should be close to the middle of the glass window.

Why 3.75L in the manual? Well the capacity(full) is 3.75L but 3L is close to the normal operating level.

Some smoke at start-up is normal because of the engine orientation.

My observations indicate the high levels also cause:
    a. excessive smoke as in your case, and
    b. lots of oil being sucked up the breather tube into the air box.

I think that most things you describe can be attributed to oil overfill, and no, I understand that Ks are not dry sump.

• Zitat

it doesn't have an oil tank

No !

Throw the old oil out ! and don´t let the engine run - all your sealings will quote that with lots of leackages

than: new filter

Fill up only 3,00 ltr at first.
    than let the engine rum & fill up to the middle of the Eye.

3,75 ltr are only valid when the valve rocker cover has been removed before.

Ein Y-Chromosom macht das Leben unbeschwert

Grüße von Olaf aus H-U

• Olaf
    That seems to be the answer.

BOBtheBOB,

WhiteSmoke old boy is due to steam condensation in the silencer. Oil Blue smoke / black smoke fuel.
    Lake Olaf's answer.

Scroll down to find the English community. It is all there. Cheers.
    Ajay

• Hi bobthebob,
    There's always someone hanging on the Forum.
    I experienced oil dirtying the sump and coating the rear tyre and this happened over a two to three year period. Fortunately , I was told recently by long time Be-eM riding friends that ALL Be-eMs are oil -level sensitive.
    I could never see anything but black in my "glass" but when I drained and topped slowly, I filled to the line on the glass with 2.75 litres and after running the bike for a few minutes, added another 0,25 litre (New Oil Filter filled up.)
    The manual says 3.75 litres and that extra 0,75 is a lot of oil.
    Happy to report that after a 370k ride 2 weeks ago, no more oil leaks and level still at line.
    Some owners fill with 3,75 litres and report no problems. (??)

My bike still smokes a lot after standing on centrestand and I put this down to some slight damage when my fan packed up in town and the bike got hotter than I would have liked. She still runs like a dream and what the heck, I say "where there's smoke, there's lubrication." :lol:

• Dieses Thema enthält 9 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!