Wavy Discs K1100 - discuss

• Hi guys,

I could do with some hands on feedback. :thumbup:

As some of you know I'm on this mission to get quality components at reasonable prices. :cool:

Shox and Plug leads now sorted, exhaust systems undergoing final testing - next on the list are brake discs and brake hoses [ St.St. Flexi ].

Question - what is the concensous of opinion re: Wavy vs Plain discs? [ K1100 ].

Folk quote lighter weight, better water dispertion, better cooling................ the only negative appears to be the price !!!! :mad:

We're currently having our Cobra Race car disc manufacturer look into the prospects.

The first Wavy disc pattern has been cut and we'll soon be getting the first road trial prototypes. After the trialling and any mods incorporated the pre-production discs will be trialled before production runs commence.

Early K1200s seem to be in the same boat [ ie lack of suitable components] and although I realise that there were [relatively] not that many K1200 bricks - why should we not? ;)

• I think you're right Uwe - it's the "traditionalist" look for Beemer owners. :cool:

However, there DO seem to be many practical advantages to the Wavy version.

I'll get a picture flagged up as soon as we have the prototypes.

I guess we can easilly make a non wavy disc - as that's how they will start out before they are machined. ;)

Maybe we offer both, but I would still like to here some private views. :thumbup:

TJ

• I don't see any physical effect why those wavy shapes should make braking any better. Drill holes into it to get the water away fast, with bevels that directly show the remaining flesh that may be braked away before replacing them.

Regards,

Peter

Verbrauch K75: unter 4.5 L/100km.
    Mein Haupthobby: Elektronisch Krach machen
    Einfach mal online Quasseln? Lass uns uns zu einem virtuellen Schwätzchen z.B. per Jitsi treffen!

(Vorher Termin absprechen!)

• I took the front wheel off recently to fit a new tyre and was horrified to feel the weight. Those solid discs sure are heavy. But I have never had a handling problem caused by unsprung weight so the original "heavy" design must have been OK.
    However, for the non-traditionalists, a wavy radius brake assembly would be neat.

• Zitat von "PetRooAC"

I don't see any physical effect why those wavy shapes should make braking any better. Drill holes into it to get the water away fast, with bevels that directly show the remaining flesh that may be braked away before replacing them.

Regards,

Peter

Would the extra metal on wavy discs not make them substantially heavier?

• Dieses Thema enthält 8 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!