88 K100RS side stand Retractor

• Hi,

I imported my 1988 K100RS from Europe to North America when I returned to live. The bike was bought in Europe so is Europe-speced.

The side stand is similar in operation to R-model BMWs, namely that the side stand retracts automatically when wheight is lifted from the stand. On K100s here in Canada, the side stand remains deployed until the clutch lever is pulled whereupon it retracts. There is a clutch mounted mechanism taht performs this retraction. Mine does not have any of this mechanism installed.

Is this a North American feature not available on European models of the same year?
    Will it be possible to retrofit this mechanism to my motorcycle or must the entire side stand be replaced?

TIA,

Robert.

• Hi there,

for this feature You can buy a special kit from Your local BMW-Dealer. Al the parts You need are named as Nr. 9 in the kit.
    The partnumber for the kit is 46532303020.

Just look up here .

Rgds

Volker

• Hi Robert,

afaik the clutch lever operated side stand was introduced in 1991.
    I personally regard this as a safety feature (short legs). ;)
    Never liked the automatically retracted version. :mad: Experienced that one on a R80G/S.
    Volker already told you the way to get a nice one.

Cheers

Henning

• Zitat von "hoechst"

My K100RT 1985 had one from the beginning of its life... ;) .

Ooops! :o
    I saw two K75S at the BMW dealer last year. Almost identical. One produced in 1990 the other one in 1991. The younger one had the mechanism Robert is looking for. The older one didn't have it. I found that while test sitting on both. Bad surprise with the 1990 model. :shock:
    Is this a luxury feature that the RTs had installed straight away?
    Come on Ralf. Tell it all.
    Grüezi!
    Henning

• Look at the link from Volker OD, which shows the item for K100 RS / RT from 01/1985 on as standard. You exactly need also the matching stand to use it. The normal one doesn't have the special little metal hill, to let the retractor push the stand up.. Look again in the picture of the link, on top of the stand, near the hole there's this little triangle..

• Dieses Thema enthält 23 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!