Fork Alignment

• Purchased my 87' K75C/T two years ago. Bike had been laid down. Have always had a problem with the front end bobbing up and down around 35 mph. This could be flat spot in front tyre from being on the side stand for so long, but two other things are also evident: 1) Front tire wears faster on left of center, and 2) bike has always required slight pressure on bars to keep it from veering right... becomes more evident as tire continues to wear. If I remove my hands during travel, I must lean at least 30 degrees to stay on a straight line.

I am guessing that my forks were possibly knocked out of line before my purchase. How might I go about making sure that my forks and the cross braces are square? Welcome any comment.

• Zitat von "Motoferde"

Purchased my 87' K75C/T two years ago. Bike had been laid down. ....

I am guessing that my forks were possibly knocked out of line before my purchase. How might I go about making sure that my forks and the cross braces are square? Welcome any comment.

Hi,

I remember a very dry, long but thorough 3 part video clip on K75 front end service... forks, seals and alignment on Youtube. Here is a link: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVWHfyG4jB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVWHfyG4jB4[/media]</a><!-- m -->.

He has a nice way of aligning the forks without any special equipment. Nice job, and interesting if you are willing to sit through 3 parts I think that it will solve all your problems.

• If I let go of the handle bar my bike is going to the right as well and I know that from most people. The drive train on the right being the cause. And the degree of leaning is not saying to much, at least in my opinion...
    But of course that bobbing shouldn't be there and since the bike already has a history...

• take a glass plate, mirror... and hold it onto the fork tubes. If it is toppling, they are not parallel. Easy test.
    My K75 also has a slight tendancy to one side and the front tyre wear on the right: seems to be normal.
    Carsten

• Thanks all.

Ned, thanks for the link. Good for something.
    docroc, plate glass method also shown on youtube link from ned. Good idea.

Tearing into it around labor day... will post findings.

• New tires. WOW. What a difference. No more bobbing, and the bike stays pretty much in line. Thanks big Freddie.

• Dieses Thema enthält 12 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!