New to board. Electrical issue...

• 1985 K100rs, 65k Mi. Bought bike last August, rode a little last summer, stored for winter and this issued just started in May.
    Rode about twenty miles parked bike and it sat for three hours, came out to start and would not. Sounded like a dead battery. Push started it, fired up but battery light was glowing and would get brighter when accelerating. Rode about a block and decided to park it instead of risking it quit in a very sketchy area of town I had to go through. Picked it up with a friends truck following day. Bought a new battery, old one was shot and a white powder on the top of it. Installed, fired it up, ran fine but battery light is glowing. Battery light glows when starting, stays on and get brighter when throttling.
    Ive got a home made battery tender plug wired to the battery and a set of electo pod led brake lights plugged into pos. and neg terminals on brake light. Could one of these be the issue? or could it be a bad altenator. Help! I'm not very good with electrics. Any ideas!
    Thanks!

• HI Andrew

I think it´s a bad altenator but you can test ist with a Voltage Tester. Start the engine and turn the lights on . The Voltage Tester must show between 13 and 14 Volts.

sorry for my very bad english ;) i hope you can understand it.

• As Peter says, but make sure your bike is at about 1500 revs.

If it doesn't its quite easy to replace the bit with the carbon brushes (the black blob on the white plate fitted with two bolts on the back end).

If you haven't done it yet a good cleaning of the electrical connectors, the ground points (two; one under the tank on the main frame tube and one on the left side of the gearbox, just aft of the coils) and a cleaning of the starter motor in way of the brushes would be beneficial.

Cheers, René

Greetings from Australia!

Ihre antwort in Deutch wird verstanden

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!