Rear Brake - new forum

• Dear Brick Pilots,

I am in a need of a new rear disc for my 1986 K100RS... I've asked this question on the Old forum, but now it is certain that in Australia the new rear disk is around $320-$360 (EUR200-EUR230, with new pads). No second-hand units are to be found or worth taking.

My question is :
    a. how suitable are cast iron discs, and
    b. is GBP94 + transport a reasonable price to pay for one.

It appears that I can get them cheaper from the UK than to get them locally. :mad:

PS: Frank, I will measure the disk as requested ASAP

• Hi Ned,

ask Rolf Ludwig, he sells a refurbishment for old rear breakediscs.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ludwig-tuning.de/bmw-k-modelle/bremstechnik/bremsscheibenumbau-fuer-k-modelle/bremsscheiben-fuer-k-modelle/bremsscheibenumbau-fuer-bmw-k-modelle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ludwig-tuning.de/bmw-k-model ... delle.html</a><!-- m -->

I ride one of this rear disks in my 97er K1100LT. Ist fine with Lucas or BMW brake pads! By using Brembo Brake pads, there was a stop sound like a squeeking train!

• Thank you! ... I just emailed him. :)

• Ned, not sure how fast or urgent your need is, but Beachcomber is working on replacement rotor discs as his next project for a generic vendor. 1st was the shocks then the plug leads, now rotors.
    I'm thinking he's only at the discussion stage at this point but it may be worth a pm to him to find out. Not sure if he's on this new website yet or not.

• Scott, I've been posting on both forum sites and I did get an answer from Beachcomber. Not wanting to missrepresent what he told me, here is his complete reply to my question (not sure about the etiquette about cross posting but..):

As for the need ... I am down to 3.5mm average which is at the limit. Now is as good time to find a reasonably priced replacement.

• Hi,

Can someone educate me about the two options offered in rear disc rotors. It appears that two different thicknesses are offered... one is 5mm and the other 4mm. All other dimensions are the same, e.g.:

OD Ø mm = 285
    ID Ø mm = 164
    Bolt Hole C Ø mm = 178
    No of BH = 10
    Bolt Hole Ømm = 5
    Disc Thickness = 4, the other option is 5mm
    min. Thickness = 3.5 or 3.6
    Offset = 0

So, Disc Thickness = 4mm or 5mm Why?
    I have a Brembo calliper.

• Dieses Thema enthält 20 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!