Can anyone help me in deepest darkest Australia?

• Sorry my German is patheic but I did pick up K75 problems. Can anyone help me in deepest darkest Australia?
    My 1989 K75s starts and runs OK, but when I turn off the keys the starter motor continues to run. I have checked the starter relay and it seems ok. The starter motor does not seem to run while the engine is going, and indicators and horn won't work. Once I turn off the ignition the starter motor just keeps going on.
    Any ideas?

• Dear,

if the starter motor keeps on running when turning off the motor (by turning the key or kill switch) then the starter relais is bad. Normaly its contacts are then welded together and no longer able to separate, thats why they remain closed. So disconnect the battery immediately in such case!!!
    Simply exchange the starter relais to a new one and it will be working again fine. And please recommend in such case the starter is running 100% even if you do not hear him when the engine is running! So do not continue to ride the bike with this failure!!!

In some cases it might help to knock heavily on the relais box or starter relais itself below the tank but this is only for inbetween help and does not cure the root cause. Some people also disassemble the relais and clean it but this as to my understanding not sure that it might happen again.

best regards

Bernhard

• Zitat

....while the engine is going, and indicators and horn won't work....

Try to clean contacts in the right hand switch area, especially kill switch and starter switch, also the ignition switch and the plugs belonging to them under the fuel tank. May be the load-shed-relais is also out of order....

But first of all your accumulator has to be checked and well charged.

• I'm with Ralf on this one.

The load-shed relay cuts out the various electrical users during starting of the bike. Part of the grounding goes over the starter motor windings, so I would think the relay is faulty (try tapping it) or the starter motor is dirty inside or with too short carbon brushes.

Have a look HERE and then join Bert's Forum. Quite a few Aussies on there and a very helpful team as well!

Between the two sites you have access to the most helpful and knowledgeable people in the K-world.

Good luck, Rene.

Cheers, René

Greetings from Australia!

Ihre antwort in Deutch wird verstanden

• Dieses Thema enthält 9 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!